36 hours between workouts

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_davisbm
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_davisbm

To quote the front page of the HST website, "...increased protein synthesis, prostaglandins, IGF-1 levels, and mRNA levels all return to normal in about 36 hours."

So for this bulking cycle, I'll be doing my full body workouts every 1.5 days. So Morning on day 1, night on day 2, rest day 3, and repeat until I've gone through the 15's, 10's, 5's, and post 5's. Since it's frequently stated that you get the most out of the first set you do, I'll just be doing a single set of each exercise per workout.

I figure that by going off the 36 hour figure, I'll be getting the most value out of each set. I'm curious to hear what you guys think, or how it worked out if anyone has done a cycle this way before.

-P.S.
I haven't posted much before, but I haven't really had to. In no particular order, Bryan Haycock, Blade, Fausto, Lol, colby2152, Old and Grey, Totentanz, liegelord, jwbond, quadancer, and everyone has answered 999 of my 1000 questions before I could even post. There's a ton of knowledge on this board - thanks to everyone, I'll keep reading the activity on this board as long as it's maintained.

Excellent idea!

It sounds like you are putting alot of thought into the science of training and your idea is fully sound, by increasing the frequency you are theoretically maximizing protein synthesis efficiency, and you are smart enough too realize that one set should be all you need in this increased frequency routine, to allow for adequate recovery between workouts.

My 2 cents...as long as you eat properly and get plenty of rest, your 36 hour routine should be very effective.

I will be very interested to hear how you get on and how much difference you think the increased frequency makes.

One thought on dropping to only one set per exercise is that as your body has been used to doing a certain amount of work in your previous cycles (say about 15 total reps per exercise for each mesocycle) it might be that you are doing a lot less total work in a week than before even though the frequency is up. Obviously, this will only be an issue during 10s and particularly 5s.

Eg. if you had been squatting Mon, Wed, Fri for 3 sets of five reps each session, that's 45 reps in a week. If you up your frequency to once every 36 hours but drop to one set during 5s then you will be doing 70 reps over three weeks (14 sessions repeating every three weeks) or about 24 reps a week -  quite a drop! 2 working sets during 5s would make a lot more sense to me.

Lol, That makes a lot of sense. I had been thinking that I might do either a second set of 5's, or add a set of 10's after each 5. Thanks for the input, I'll be sure to eat like crazy and share the results later!

I was thinking about the logistics of this, I think the best time to train would be 7:30, am and pm, as its not too early and not too late, its before and after work, most are gyms are open at these times, etc.

So 7:30am day 1, 7:30pm day 2, day 3 rest, 7:30am day 4, 7:30pm day 5, rest etc.

I take it you had something like this in mind davisbm?

Might be hard for people who don't like to get up early (read: uni students)
tounge.gif

Davisbm

Sounds like an excellent idea, straight out of the lab so to say
laugh.gif

Lol has a point and to add to that I think it would be better if you keep the progression to 15 reps thorughout:

15's - 1 set / 10's - 1 1/2 sets / 5 - 3 sets

I add this because you may want to purely keep all the vextors in one basket, so this one may reduce the effectiveness of your experiment.

Man....I love "lab rats", that's lab rats not gym rats
laugh.gif

Peak_Power:
That's exactly what I had in mind, I've been going at around 8:00/9:00. Although it's funny you say that because I AM a university student! I thought we would be the only ones with a flexible enough schedule to go something wierd like working out every day and a half. But who knows, it may or may not turn out to be that great, we'll see.

Fausto: I had planned on only doing one set each time, but your idea of sticking to 15 reps like that doesn't sound too bad either. I had never considered doing 1.5 sets for the 10's, but I like it! I'll certainly start out that way for the ligher weight days and if/when I feel like it's too much I can always drop back to 1 set.

Thanks!

Yeah I think its important to keep volume the same, or even increase volume slightly, cause when you think about it in terms of volume per week, 2 sets 3 times per week (6 sets p/w), that's more volume than 1 set 4-5 times a week, and you get more recovery time to be able to handle the 2 sets. So maybe you'd need to do 2 sets on some days to keep the volume up? Thoughts?

Back