4 weeks into routine, a question or 2

iwealth

Hey guys, I have a log going about my HST + clustering program, and I'm 4 weeks through with a few questions.

I had a bit of an injury this past Wednesday so I've completed 10.5 out of a scheduled 12 workouts over these 4 weeks. My exercises (and weights/reps from the 10th workout) are as follows:

AM:
Flat bench 120x13+4+3
Deadlift 125x14+6
Military press 67.5x14+5+1
One arm rows 60x14+6
Dumbell curl 31.25x10+4+3+3
Skullcrusher 52.5x13+6+1

PM:
Squat 140x9+6+5
Pullups 165x7+5+4+4
Dips 170x10+8+2
Shrugs 185x12+8
*Calf raise 200x13+7
Front raises 17.5x16+4
Lateral raises 17.5x14+6

As you can see, I'm small and weak, but I'm making progress. I'm doing 20 reps regardless, squeezing as many as I can in a first set then doing clusters thereafter to finish the 20. I'm also increasing weights every single workout, no zig-zagging around due to the nature of the program.

So my questions to the experienced lifters:
1) am I soon going to burn out doing squats and deadlifts 3 times per week as the weights quickly get heavier?
2) my chest seems to be lagging my arms and back and it has always been my weakest lift, is it getting enough volume/diversity?
3) would or could this workout be as effective on a 6-day split?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

1. Eventually you will, but that's what a week off is for, for fatigue to go away. By the way, you want to do squats before deadlifts. You want a strong lower back during squats, not a weaker one.

2. Yeah, it's getting enough. It's just genetics. Lagging bodyparts will always be lagging bodyparts, up until the point where you get as big as you want to get, at which point you can just maintain overall size and continue to improve your lagging bodypart til it catches up. Just continue to make progress with it. Actually, if anything is lagging, it's not your bench, it's your squat and deadlift. You shouldn't be squatting or deadlifting barely above what you're benching.

3. I don't see a reason why it shouldn't. All you'd be doing is spreading the AM and PM workouts over 2 days.

By the way, you have a lot of upperbody pushing exercise overlap in your routine. If you're doing flat bench, there's no need for dips. If you're doing military press, there's no need for front raises.

Playmaker, thanks for the advice!

1) I will make sure I work squats in before deadlifts. This will be easier if I transform this thing into a 6-day split.

2) The problem with my bench is that the progression is going to stop cold long before my squat and deadlift give up, I can guarantee that. I had never squatted or deadlifted before, so I probably started those weights a little lighter than necessary. My form is improving and I think I'll be able to progress quickly with those. But if the volume and exercise selection is sufficient for chest, that's all I needed to hear.

The reason you see the overlap is because of my totally underdeveloped upper body. My upper chest is devoid of muscle (genetics) and my traps are non-existent. Ultimately I have no muscle mass around my clavicles whatsoever (also genetics to a degree). While overall growth is important to me, my primary concern is being comfortable with my appearance. Once I get there, my goals will change to be more fitness, strength, and overall size oriented.

I'm afraid to get rid of that extra chest and shoulder work...but if it could be hampering gains, I'd get rid of it immediately.

Back