4th HST Cycle

dax07

Hey fellas I am wrapping up my 3rd HST cycle this Saturday. I am going straight on into my 4th without any SD because I feel that I do not need it this cycle. I am pretty well in-tune with my body and I know it is telling me to keep lifting. I planned on SD'ing after this next cycle though. Anyways my current lifts / training split is:

MWF:
Incline Bench
Chin Ups
Dips
Seated Rows Vertical Grip
Barbell Shoulder Press
Barbell Bicep Curls
Rope Tricep Extension

TThS:
Deadlift
Laying Hamstring Curls
Leg Press
Weighted Crunches
Standing Calf Raises
Quad Extension
Barbell Shrugs (Only on Tuesday and Saturday because of heavy deadlifts)

My next proposed cycle is very similar just switching a few grips really and machines.

MWF:
Incline Bench
Chin Ups
Dips (Might have to replace this I already strap on 3 45lb plates to myself on the 5 rep weeks)
Seated Rows Horizontal Grip
Lateral Raise or Barbell Shoulder Press (I can't decide yet, I don't see how I can do the 5 rep with lateral raises because of the nature of the machine)
Preacher Curls
Laying Tricep Extension

TThS:
Deadlift
Seated Hamstring Curls
Leg Press
Seated Calf Raises
Weighted Crunches
Quad Extension
Barbell Shrugs

So I have a few questions about my proposed cycle. I assume you will all suggest to skip the 15s because I did them last cycle? Also, should I do 2 weeks of 10s, 2 weeks of 5s, then 2 weeks of negatives and continued 5 reps? If so, when I continue my 5 rep block, do I add weight pass my max of the first 5 rep block? Or do I continue doing the max I have for the whole 2 weeks after along with the negatives? Also, do the exercises I listed for my next cycle look like a sound HST plan in relation to what I did previously? Thanks fellas :)

I would keep the dips. I have done dips with four 45s and it can get arduous loading them, but dips are great for overall strength and for pec development. If you can do three 45s, I'd say just keep going. You are obviously progressing well on them. Seated dips where you can strap yourself in and load up the weight are another great option if you have the ability to do those. They had a great seated dip station at my last gym where you could strap in and dip as much weight as you wanted.

I would prefer an overhead press versus lateral raises. Lateral raises are not reliable with heavier loads.

I would suggest that you do indeed skip the 15s this time around. I'd like to see the 5s extended to 3 or 4 weeks, just repeat loads or whatever to extend it out. Then for the post-5s, just keep incrementing beyond your old 5 RMs until you find new RMs for each lift. You can use those loads for a good couple of weeks too if you want to get as much out of those loads as possible.

Excellent. Thank you very much for the info. I do have a seated dip machine at my gym so I may use that if I feel like my belt is going to snap because of the load of the 45s. And yeah I figured overhead press would be better than lateral raises. I may do some raises on top of the overhead presses with lighter loads and more reps along with upright rows when I feel necessary.

Yes, lateral raises are, in my opinion, best used as a high rep metabolic set after your heavy overhead pressing.

Try the seated dip machine out. The weight won't translate exactly but you'll figure it out.

Back