5RMs and session length

pmf

Hi,

I'm about to start with HST after reading your tremendously useful and informative descriptions, but there's one thing I don't understand.

When doing sets with rather low reps/high load (as I will have to do in the 5RM-phase), I always need very long breaks, a bit over 4 minutes, to be able to do 5 reps again. Now, if I will do the same exercises as in the 15RM- and 10RM-phases in the 5RM-phase, how can I keep training-time under 70 minutes?

Let me put it another way: doing 8 different exercises in the 15RM-phase (1 set) will work perfectly in 70 min, since there are minimal breaks between the exercises. In the 10RM-phase (2 sets per ex.), things will be a little harder but will probably still fit into 70 min.

Are the sessions in the 5RM-phase supposed to be much longer or is it somehow my fault because I need so much recovery-time between sets with high loads?

Thanks for any help!

I dunno, I "suffer" from the same problem on heavy loads...but I look at it this way; I keep doing full, heavy sets.
Take 70 minutes. So what? My early HST was an hour and twenty. (13 exersizes)
3 sets of 5's should always take a little longer anyway. But what matter, when your strength and size are blossoming?
If it's an issue for you, I'd have to ask you about your daily activity levels. Cardio can help your Vo2 uptake (oxygen efficiency) and the 15's should be helping somewhat with endurance in the 5's. No one can really give much advice on this without knowing your history.
There are supplementary exersizes also that can help, if needed. Like I said, it's a non-issue for me. I got bigger, I got stronger.

You could always drop some isos out of your w/o and do them the next day instead. But as Quad said, if it takes a full 70 mins and you can afford the time then no harm done. I only do about 5 or 6 exercises during 5s so I can still get it done in an hour. During 5s, I like to get my 20 reps for squats or deads all done in around 15 minutes so I have 45 mins left for everything else.

I was thinking the same thing although haven't got to the 5's yet. Doesn't the FAQ advice suggest keeping time down to 30-45mins to avoid overloading the CNS?
rock.gif

pmf & Jinky

Welcome to HST
wink.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">When doing sets with rather low reps/high load (as I will have to do in the 5RM-phase), I always need very long breaks, a bit over 4 minutes, to be able to do 5 reps again. Now, if I will do the same exercises as in the 15RM- and 10RM-phases in the 5RM-phase, how can I keep training-time under 70 minutes?</div>

Easy...just simplify your workout down to 4 or 5 basic exercises:

A - Squats/Bench Press/Chinups/Military Press

B - Deadlifts/Dips/Bent over rows/Lateral raises + Bent over rows

And alternate A/B, that should cut it down.

On the other hand, if you take your rest into consideration and take it away from the workout time, how much workout time you got?

It is more important to keep the workout time under 45 - 60 minutes.
wink.gif

well if your taking 4mins inbetween sets then your actually not doing 70mins so dont worry to much.

Longer workouts can raise your cortisol levels and lower T. I tend to keep mine to 20-30 minutes even if it means I have to workout in the AM and then in the PM. I get much more intense and satisfying workouts that way.

Most of my workouts even in the 5's are kept to within 45 minutes max. Just cut out some of the extra isolations or split your workouts into two and either alternate days or workout 2x day like OG.

Back