5's Question

allmanbro

I just finished my first week of 5's and have decided to do the 5's for the next three weeks to complete my first HST cycle.  I tried to find some information on doing 5s the last two weeks as opposed to drop sets, but didnt really find anything definite.  I would appreciate a link or your thoughts.

The question:

For the last two weeks of 5's do I keep bumping up the weight as in previous weeks and stick to my 3 sets if my body can handle it?

Thanks very much!!!  ab

By the way, I have achieved some unbelievable results doing HST already.  I'm nearly 47 and prior to 6 months ago had never lifted weights.  Ive tried to keep things simple(thanks to Fausto and others!), eat like a mad man, sleep like a baby and supplement.  HST works if you do your part and your homework. Thanks to everyone for HST and this site! ab

Yes, keep pushing the weight up if you can.

If you feel you can handle it, you could extend your 5s even longer. Keep using the last weight used on your last workout for another couple workouts, then add a little weight to each lift, use that for another two or three workouts, add a little more weight, etc etc.
Doing this, you could stretch your cycle your cycle out for quite a while. As long as you keep eating and sleeping like you have been, you should be able to sustain those great gains you've been having for a long time before you have to SD.

The other upside to continuing the 5s is that you will eventually find out what your new 5 rep max is, and you can then use those numbers to construct your next cycle.

Good luck.

Back