7 day SD

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_domineaux
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_domineaux

I'd be interested to read about experiences of others with short term SD, i.e. 7 days.

From the article on SD:

" Your muscles will be fully recuperated within the first 7 days of the deconditioning period. At 7 days you will also still retain most of the repeated bout effects. Additional down time is required to allow the muscle to lower it's defenses. 9-12 days is just long enough to allow deconditioning, but to prevent undue muscle atrophy."

It sounds like 9 days is minimum for a "true sd".

------------------------------

I'm seriously thinking of shortening the time for a trial, everyone is different I've always heard. When I usually start back after SD my workouts just beat heck outta me. I was thinking I might actually do better with less time off.

Well I geuss I'll come out of the closet so to speak...ummm....I'm a (gasp) 7 day SDer (usually - right now I'm sick so I'm looking at a longer one) . I've done 7 , 9 , and 14 day SD's and (flame suit on) had my best cycles after a week off and then a week of "lay-back"(the first week of 15's would do for this too- if I did them). I'll qualify that by saying that life almost always conspires to force a 4 or 5 day "lay-off" somewhere in almost every cycle of mine (travel , business, ect.)
biggrin.gif

So far I have always taken 9 days off for SD and it has always seemed to be effective. My cycles are still productive in that I am still gaining strength and size but the gains are coming much more slowly now compared to the first year. That's to be expected really. I gained more in one year of HST (and all the great advice on eating) than in all the time I have trained ever in my life before. Can't keep that up for long.

As well as the physical effects, a 9 day SD always has a very positive psychological effect on me too. I am always eager to start a new cycle afterwards feeling refreshed and anticipating some new PRs later in the cycle.

Well,
 I'll add my tidbit here.

When I first started HST, I did 7 days

At first (2 or 3 cycles) this seemed sufficient, but as time went on, I was still pretty drained (just from an energy standpoint).

I have since went to a 14 day SD and it works out much better.

This is partially due to the fact that I started skipping the 15's later on.

<div>
(adb1x1 @ Aug. 23 2007,12:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well,
 I'll add my tidbit here.

When I first started HST, I did 7 days

At first (2 or 3 cycles) this seemed sufficient, but as time went on, I was still pretty drained (just from an energy standpoint).

I have since went to a 14 day SD and it works out much better.

This is partially due to the fact that I started skipping the 15's later on.</div>
Interesting... As I said above I've done well with 7 days but only with performing 7 days of &quot; de-load/layed back&quot; after the week of complete rest and before beginning the start of the &quot;official&quot; 10's (where I start) , I too feel JUST 7 days (with no &quot;ease back in&quot;) would result in the same fatigue you've mentioned.
I think there is some similarity ( 14days off vs.7 days off+7 days layback) and merits further exploring as 14 days SD+14 days 15's results in a whole month of getting ready to grow vs. 14 days in either of our two approaches.
smile.gif

One thing I should add is that during the last two weeks of the 5's, I usually push it a bit.

I try to add 5 lbs to every exercise, every other workout

So I'm typically 20-30 lbs above the 5's max I calculate for the cycle

I'm sure this has a bearing on how I feel by the end of the 5's.

It has worked out well, but it does impact the CNS noticeably.

I still do not go to failure, but I am pretty close

Back