7th Cycle

mport1

I'm going to be getting ready to start my 7th cycle after spring break and am looking for any suggestions to improve it.

I'm taking a pretty heavy course load this semester, so I'm planning on doing 3x a week (although 4x could also be possible).

Abs: 2-3 times a week on a non-HST routine

15s (2 weeks, 1 set per exercise):
DB Press
Machine Row
Lat Pulldown
Machine Shoulder Press (never been able to do dumbbell press without discomfort)
Straight Leg Deadlift
Leg Press
Leg Curl
Calf Raises

10s (2 weeks, 2 sets per exercise):
Same as 15s but add EZ-bar curls and skullcrushers plus DB Shrugs

50s (2 weeks, 3 sets per exercise):
Same as 10s

Post 5s (2 weeks, 3 sets per exercise):
Same exercise set with negatives or clustering (in which case I try for 2 more weight progressions)

Incremental increases in load range from 5 pounds for lower weight exercises to 15 pounds for higher weight exercises like the leg press.

I try to minimize zig-zagging by starting a new rep cycle at about the max from the previous one and repeating it for the first two days. Example: 15 rep max is 100 for calves, so for 10s I do 95, 95, 100, 105, 110, 115

Thanks for the help.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm taking a pretty heavy course load this semester, so I'm planning on doing 3x a week (although 4x could also be possible).</div>

I here you - 19 credits, last semester.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">DB Press
Machine Row
Lat Pulldown
Machine Shoulder Press (never been able to do dumbbell press without discomfort)
Straight Leg Deadlift
Leg Press
Leg Curl
Calf Raises</div>

I see no reason for the leg curl if you are doing a deadlift variation. If possible, try to throw/alternate some dips and chins in to the routine. I'm sure you already know that.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I try to minimize zig-zagging by starting a new rep cycle at about the max from the previous one and repeating it for the first two days. Example: 15 rep max is 100 for calves, so for 10s I do 95, 95, 100, 105, 110, 115</div>

I do something similar to reduce zig-zagging, but the step down days can be nice time to time.

With the dips/chins, how should I go about doing them if we do not have any type of weighted machine to do them on? I want to make sure I keep with the constant progression.

If you don't have a machine, then can you do any of them on a stand with or without weight attached? If not, then you probably do not have the means to do them.

If you're doing lat pulldowns, you just reverse your grip for chins and keep your spine in line with the cable.
For dips, two stools or the corner of a deck railing will suffice. Wide grip with head down and back arched hits chest and narrow grip with head up hits triceps.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">DB Press
Machine Row
Lat Pulldown
Straight Leg Deadlift
Leg Press
Leg Curl
Calf Raises</div>

mport

If I were you I'd take the A/B approach using two similar types of workouts but alternating them p/workout.

A
DB Press
Machine Row
Straight Leg Deadlift
Leg Press
Calf Raises

B
Dips
Lat Pulldown (I'd rather do chinups, reverse grip)
How about military press with BarBell?
Full Deadlifts
Seated calf raises

The rest seems fine, although I'd consider doing squats instead of leg press, but nevertheless leg press if done heavy can work.

<div>
(Fausto @ Feb. 21 2007,01:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
Go to a hardware store, pick up some thick nylon rope.

Use a lifting belt + rope with increments of weight for chinups.
smile.gif

Pull downs, as far as Im concerned will never replace chinups.

Use the same concept for dips, find two steel chairs, couple olympic bars in a squat rack...few possibilities.

Im with the others, might consider doing squats and deadlifts vs any of the other leg exercises you listed.

Back