7th HST Cycle

mport1

Here is my list of exercises for my 7th cycle. To cut down on time, are there any exercises I could cut out? I was thinking of maybe ditching lat pulldowns and leg curls...

DB Press
Machine Row
Lat Pulldown
Curls
Triceps
Shrugs
Shoulder Press
Deadlift
Leg Press
Leg Curl
Calves

DO NOT DITCH Lat Pulldowns, but I would get rid of Leg Curls and then in this order of priority of exercises to get rid of:

1) Curls
2) Triceps
3) Shrugs

<div>
(colby2152 @ May 31 2006,21:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">DO NOT DITCH Lat Pulldowns, but I would get rid of Leg Curls and then in this order of priority of exercises to get rid of:

1) Curls
2) Triceps
3) Shrugs</div>
Thanks for the suggestion.

If you ditch pulldowns, I would replace them with weighted chinups.

Personally, I would drop the routine down to this:

DB Press
Machine Row
Lat Pulldown
Shoulder Press
Deadlift

Do 3 sets or so for deadlifts, rows and the DB bench press, then 1-2 sets for everything else.

I like Tot's program a lot assuming, of course, that what you call a dumbell press is a bench press and not a shoulder exercise. If I were to add anything, it would only be straight leg deadlifts (and then only if you hammies need work), dips and change lat pull downs to chins, if you can. On the deadlift, shrug at the top of the movement to work your traps a bit more. A set of nice traps make a person look so much better, especially when clothed as most of us are when we are awake.

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Jun. 01 2006,09:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">On the deadlift, shrug at the top of the movement to work your traps a bit more. A set of nice traps make a person look so much better, especially when clothed as most of us are when we are awake.</div>
I Totally Agree

say bye bye to the Pencil Neck syndrome
smile.gif

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 01 2006,02:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you ditch pulldowns, I would replace them with weighted chinups.

DB Press
Machine Row
Lat Pulldown
Shoulder Press
Deadlift

Do 3 sets or so for deadlifts, rows and the DB bench press, then 1-2 sets for everything else.</div>
So I should do the same number of sets for 15s, 10s, 5s, and on?

It is up to you as you could:

a) keep the # of sets constant
b) keep the volume constant (1 set 15, 2 set 10, 3 set 5)
c) have a split of constant volume, (i.e. all first weeks the same volume, all 2nd weeks the same)
d) do as much as you can

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jun. 01 2006,02:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you ditch pulldowns, I would replace them with weighted chinups.

DB Press
Machine Row
Lat Pulldown
Shoulder Press
Deadlift

Do 3 sets or so for deadlifts, rows and the DB bench press, then 1-2 sets for everything else.</div>
Alright, so I decided to go with something similar to this. So I don't need to do leg presses for my routine?

This cycle I am experimenting with a reduced workout and more volume per exercise. I am alternating between A and B w/os to allow me to perform all my favourite exercises. So I do dips and chins one w/o and bench and rows the next. I also alternate normal deads with squats and SLDLs. I do shrugs on squat days. Standing shoulder press and calves get done every session. If I have time and feel inclined I add in either bb curls or tri-extensions.

For volume I tried 2 sets for 15s and 3 sets for 10s. So far so good but I am about to start the second week of 10s and if 3 sets gets too tough I might try for 2.5 sets. Not sure what to do for 5s yet? 6 sets is a no-go so I might do 4 sets of 5s and 1 set of my 10RM.

Perhaps there are some ideas here that you might want to try?

I'm with Totentanz and O&amp;G on this matter... I am slowly but steadily converting to a &quot;reduced workout&quot; believer (i.e. keep the &quot;big 4&quot; in there and don't worry too much about the rest).

But it's alright to not do the leg presses? Will I be getting enough quad workout from the rest of my workout? As of right now my only exercise that hits the legs is deadlift.

I did just deadlifts one cycle and did fine. Just do more sets of deadlifts to make up for not going leg press.

Hum, combining the shrug movement with deadlifts sounds like a very good idea. The benefits of shrugs without the extra exercise.

I don't really think you need to shrug on the top of a deadlift, but if your upper traps don't grow that easily, then feel free. Personally, doing deads normally, along with bentover rows, has been more than plenty to make my upper traps grow. I did do shrugs one cycle, but didn't find it to be helpful. For most people, traps grow very easily, that's the only reason I wouldn't bother.

Back