A/B splits vs. typical 3 day HST

celc5

One of the reasons I enjoy HST is because of my busy work schedule. The 3 day training is as efficient as it gets.

Occasionally, maybe once every other week, I have time to train 2 days consecutively. In which case, I'll split up push and pull exercises.

Personally, I feel less rushed in the gym when I run the A/B split and feel that my movements are of higher quality. However, I suspect that I may be hindering gains in terms of hormonal stimulation and the 48 hour rule.

What are your thoughts on A/B splits vs. the typical 3 day full body workout?

I have used a A/B push/pull split many times in the past with great success. I think one of the things that you will find as you progress is that you will no longer be able to support the frequency of work as the weights get to the advanced level. Lets say an advanced lifter is bench pressing around 400, squatting around 500 and deadlifting around 500.

For example, when I powerlifted I used the 5X5 method exclusively which is basically a full body routine three times weekly. After a few years I was pushing some very heavy weights, in the advanced level I described above. This became very difficult to recover from in the latter part of the 5X5 and specifically when I extended out to a 3X3 with singles. My joints simply could not deal with that level of strain that often. I tried using milk squats routines (20 rep sets with 5 rep weight) and further periodizing the 5X5 but that only extended it for a little longer.

I ultimately switched to a push / pull split, four days per week and was able to advance yet even further along with a little less strain on the system.

My A routine was all pushing exercises for chest, shoulders, triceps and quads while my B routine was pulling movements for traps, lats, biceps and hamstrings.

I used a Heavy/Light/Light/Heavy day scheme. My Heavy days would target about 2-3 working sets in a 3 - 6 rep range. My light days targeted 3 - 4 working sets in the 8 - 12 rep range. I would still perform singles on my heavy days to maintain the neurological strength.

I would think that a new lifter could even use a push / pull right from the beginning but from my experience that is not really the optimal way to build your foundation of strength. The full body workout is the way to go for the beginner to intermediate lifter. Then switch over to a split routine once you have built a sound foundation of strength.

I would imagine that once you have built your strength and size up far enough to your liking that you may even consider adopting a more traditional Body Building routine using a full body split over five or six days with a lot of volume. I have used this technique as well and was able to carve out some nice definition and muscle seperation using shocking techniques and the like. I also was much more vascular during this.

So the first questions you have to ask yourself is what are your goals? How far do you want to take the sport? How big is big enough?

Realize that this is a lifestyle change as much as a hobby. This takes a long time to make progress but if you keep plugging away you will see that progress accumulate.

Make small goals for yourself and work towards each goal, then make new goals just a little bit greater. Take pleasure in each small accomplishment for that is all you get in the immediate. The sum of all these little accomplishments will add up to your ultimate goal, realizing the self-image you strive for.

Sorry Celc5 if I put too much of the new guy rah-rah stuff in there. I didnt know your experience level. I wanted to inspire you, not cream you like that when you are already self motivated. I just think everyone should enjoy this sport. I wanted to make sure a new guy gets all the support I can give to get him going and keep him going.

I do more reading than posting on this board so it's no big deal if people don't know me here. All of your points were well thought out and I didn't interpret anything as offensive whatsoever.

I've had similar experience with the 5x5 routine in terms of joints. My squat and deadlift are in the 450-550 range but I rarely bench more than bodyweight because of elbow reconstruction and shoulder dislocation.

Joint issues were the whole reason behind me switching to HST in the first place with the 15's and 10's. Actually, I run 16/12/8 to even further protect my joints.

HST is surprisingly fun for me, so I have that covered. My goals short and long term are recomp. I like my weight at 200 lbs but would like a little more size in the upper body to catch up to my lower half. I have no plans to compete in any arena.

Back