A & B Workouts Weight Progression

rpopple

For those of you who rotate A & B workouts, can you tell me how you build up to your maxes as i'm thinking of adopting this type of training style?

My thinking is that you have two choices (Assume alternation of chest exercises, bench press (w/o A), dips (w/o B) :

1. Aim to hit max on both exercises on workouts 5 (A) & 6 (B) respectively of the two week cycle. Work backwards to calculate two incremental weight increases for workouts 1, 3 (A) and 2, 4 (B) i.e.

w/o A
Bench Press Max = 220 (A)
Session 1 = 180 *
Session 2 = 200 *
Session 3 = 220 *

w/o B
Dips Max = B/W + 45 (B)
Session 1 = B/W + 25 *
Session 2 = B/W + 35 *
Session 3 = B/W + 45 *

OR

2. Calculate 6 incremental weight increases in the usual fashion, building up to max in both exercises on w/o 6. However, as workouts are alternated, a weight increment will be jumped for each exercise. For w/o 5, trainee is hitting his second from max weight for A and for w/o 6 he is hitting his max weight i.e.

w/o A
Bench Press Max = 220 (A)
Session 1 = 170 *
Session 2 = 180
Session 3 = 190 *
Session 4 = 200
Session 5 = 210 *
Session 6 = 220

w/o B
Dips Max = B/W + 45 (B)
Session 1 = B/W + 20
Session 2 = B/W + 25 *
Session 3 = B/W + 30
Session 4 = B/W + 35 *
Session 5 = B/W + 40
Session 6 = B/W + 45 *

My personal preference is that I would want to hit maxes in both workouts, however, I'm guessing this goes against the HST principles of only one "all out" workout over the two week period. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

go with number 1 doing max workouts on days 5 and 6 is not going to burn out your cns.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Yup i do it as version 1 and have seen good results, directly after you do your maxes you'll probably drop the weight because of zigzag anyway so it works out well.

Thanks for posting this. I just split my workout into A and B for my 5's, and was wondering the same thing. I opted for #1 and I'm glad to see it was the right way to go
smile.gif

Back