A few details

wisslewj

Hi guys,

I have decided to give HST another go after a long while away. My first run last time wasnt that successful so I am hoping to iron out some details.

I spent a few hours rereading all the fact posts and such again and think I have a good handle on most things, but the actual sets confuse me some.

First, Blade says that we need to feel the burn. (Basically Occlusion training which makes good sense scientifically.) Does that mean that if we dont get a burn we should keep repping? Or drop set? Or just go slower so we do get it? It sounded like this should be achieved every set optimally?

And second, Blade also speaks of the semi stretched postion. Having studied this from the science end (good stuff!) and the experience end (again good stuff!), I was wondering if this is a method we can use to achieve more burn and TUT without burnout.

Statics with really heavy weight in the Stretched position is killer and requires much rest, but what about doing it at the end of a set, say as an "X rep" or just a static hold? So after 15 reps if there was no burn one could lower the bar to the stretched position and either pulse (x rep) or just hold a static?

Is this acceptable, and even advisable on the HST? I know it achieves the TUT and the burn Blade speaks of AND great muscle stimulation, but they can be taxing. Are they too taxing for the 3 day a weak protocol?

My thought was to add "X reps" to the end of all lifts to create more TUT and burn. So the 15's, 10's and 5's would all have them. It seems like if one was doing just one set this would also make it far more effective.

Please let me know your opinions.
smile.gif

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff

My opinion is that you're overthinking stuff, Blade simply means you should feel the burn while doing 15's that is a burn while lifting, if you'r enot feeling it then you're just not lifting enough...but even considering this one must remember that HST builds up to the RM...in this case 15's so don't get carried away.

There are many ways of achieving that burn, one of them is to slow your reps and acdence so that the burn comes in quicker...again one must dwell with care as fatigue may overcome you before the achievments of 15 reps.

All in all I'd say, stick to the basics and don't let the technicalities overcome you, you'll soon find out what works for you!
wink.gif

So how does one best achive this burn with such light weight? Contract through the whole movement and go slow?

I am also curious about sets. I have seen suggested 15x1, 10x2, 5x3.

What if I want to do 2 sets of 15's? Does this mean I need to do more sets of 10's and 5's to keep overall reps the same?

So 15x2, 10x3 and 5x6? that seems alot during the 5's. I just want to be sure not to mess up my progression and wasnt sure if just doing 2 sets through all the weeks was ok.

Since 15x2 is 30 reps and 10x2 is only 20, does that somehow mess up progression? (and heck 5x2 is only 10!)

Thanks again,
Jeff

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So how does one best achive this burn with such light weight? Contract through the whole movement and go slow?</div>

Basically, you just need to slow down the cadence of each rep, so that each rep takes longer.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am also curious about sets. I have seen suggested 15x1, 10x2, 5x3.</div>

You should go and read the FAQ e-book or Chrales Ridgeley's HST Minor Principles, both good reads, but here's the take:

The idea is to try and keep the reps constant (also called TUT or TUL) throughout, while slowly increasing the load. So, to keep the principle up yes, you would have to do 3 x 10 and then 6 x 5, a feat that many of us tried but could not really keep up with, its just too much volume when the weights get really heavy.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What if I want to do 2 sets of 15's? Does this mean I need to do more sets of 10's and 5's to keep overall reps the same?</div>

Nothing stops you from doing 2 x 15, then 2 x 10 and 4 x 5 at least like that you only slowed down after the 15's which are not for growth anyway, but rather for what you could call it aclimatization (although I'd be careful of using fancy words here on the HST forum as we try to keep things simple.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So 15x2, 10x3 and 5x6? that seems alot during the 5's. I just want to be sure not to mess up my progression and wasnt sure if just doing 2 sets through all the weeks was ok.</div>

You right...it will be a lot for 5's, what you might want to do is to bring it down to 4 x 5 then, then you could say you've done a higher volume HST program...up to you!
wink.gif

Since 15x2 is 30 reps and 10x2 is only 20, does that somehow mess up progression? (and heck 5x2 is only 10!)

Thanks Guys.

I just wanted to be sure I understood the priciple right. Pressing in on bench presses and &quot;flexing&quot; through the movement will definitely create that burn. That can be applied to all exercises along with rep speed.

Ok I understand!
smile.gif

Jeff

PS:Fausto, I did read everything before posting, but some priciples seemed unclear to me and my over analytical brain wanted to really get it lol. Thanks again.

Jeff

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">PS:Fausto, I did read everything before posting, but some priciples seemed unclear to me and my over analytical brain wanted to really get it lol. Thanks again. </div>

No problem, I just pointed out Charles's book because it is a good read and not many guys get to read it, but if you did then...kudus for you!
wink.gif

Sometimes overanalysing just leads to confusion...we're here to help though!

At your service...so long as HST gets one step further in the scientific hypertrophy world
biggrin.gif

Good answer Fausto, just one point I disagree with. I would never do slow reps for the reason that they have been disproved for any hypertrophical advantage and they increase fatigue and lessen workload. What is the point of adding fatigue and lessening the workload, which is important?
The lactic acid buildup is also present with high reps even though you don't feel it (I read that in some study I didn't save) and I've always felt the second set of 15's to be the point where you really feel it. I liked your answer for the reps: couldn't have said it better.
Lacking the fatigue of slow repping, I'd say the intensity of speed reps would be more advantageous, at least in my case, since I can do a larger workload doing them than slow reps. So I still get in my two sets of 15 without dropping the weight in order to finish.
If I'm wrong, I'll stand the correction, but I believe this to be true for most of us.

<div>
(quadancer @ Mar. 05 2008,12:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good answer Fausto, just one point I disagree with. I would never do slow reps for the reason that they have been disproved for any hypertrophical advantage and they increase fatigue and lessen workload. What is the point of adding fatigue and lessening the workload, which is important?
The lactic acid buildup is also present with high reps even though you don't feel it (I read that in some study I didn't save) and I've always felt the second set of 15's to be the point where you really feel it. I liked your answer for the reps: couldn't have said it better.
Lacking the fatigue of slow repping, I'd say the intensity of speed reps would be more advantageous, at least in my case, since I can do a larger workload doing them than slow reps. So I still get in my two sets of 15 without dropping the weight in order to finish.
If I'm wrong, I'll stand the correction, but I believe this to be true for most of us.</div>
Now i confused. I always been told to do slow reps because its safer and also because it might be more effective. So why do you think differently? Because some research you read or your own experience?

Quad

According to what Bryan or Dan wrote some time back (I think, I could be standing to correction), slower reps should be used for higher repetition schemes, and faster when the weights are fairly heavy.

But in any case...Jeff was asking specifically about the burn, so IMO slow reps = better burn, right?
biggrin.gif

Back