A few q's on exercises...

HSTis4me

After reading and searching through the forums, I have a couple of questions before put I together my workout:

1) How many exercises per workout day? The sample 3-day-split on the HST page has 14 workouts (and 8 of those have 2 sets; that would mean 22 sets per workout). Is that correct?

I think I read in one of the posts that for the first time I'm doing this, isolation exercises should be skipped; is this correct, and if so, which ones are isolation exercises?

2) This may sound stupid, but are there instructions for pre-HST measuring (to track progress later)? Where exactly on my body do I measure and how can I determine body fat percentage?

Thanks!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
1) How many exercises per workout day? The sample 3-day-split on the HST page has 14 workouts (and 8 of those have 2 sets; that would mean 22 sets per workout). Is that correct?</div>

The amount of exercises are up to you. You can have an efficient workout with 4 exercises and a lot of sets and techniques. You can also have an efficient workout with 14 exercises.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think I read in one of the posts that for the first time I'm doing this, isolation exercises should be skipped; is this correct, and if so, which ones are isolation exercises?</div>

I will not be able to list all isolation exercises, but an isolation exercise is one that is applied to one or two muscles - small at that, like a triceps, biceps, calf, etc... Leg curls, barbell curls, and skullcrushers are all isolation exercises.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">2) This may sound stupid, but are there instructions for pre-HST measuring (to track progress later)? Where exactly on my body do I measure and how can I determine body fat percentage?</div>

Record your body weight, check your results visually in the mirror.... Bodyfat percentage can be checked many ways. Check up on calibers and a good skin fold method.

Most isolation exercises involve movement around just a single joint whereas compounds involve two or more.

To further clarify: You said that you can have an efficient workout with 4 exercises and lots of sets. How many sets? And how many sets per exercise? For example, 2 sets of bench? 2 sets of leg press? How many sets total per day?

-If leg curls are an isolation exercise, what are good compound exercises that get the hamstrings?

-If I have a bad lower back, should I stay away from squats and do leg press instead?

Thanks!

The number of sets and reps is determined by the minimum effective volume. Id keep your rep count between 15-25 per exercise throughout the cycle, this means that the load is the only variable changing.

ATG squats hit the hamstrings

Personally Id still do squats, Id start really light though, make sure my technique was good and if I felt any pain Id stop immediately,

good luck in your training

<div>
(style @ Sep. 16 2006,23:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The number of sets and reps is determined by the minimum effective volume. Id keep your rep count between 15-25 per exercise throughout the cycle, this means that the load is the only variable changing.</div>
I'm confused...could you elaborate on that?

I thought rep count was determined by the HST program (15 for 2 weeks, 10 for 2 weeks, 5 for 2 weeks).

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I thought rep count was determined by the HST program (15 for 2 weeks, 10 for 2 weeks, 5 for 2 weeks). </div>

Lets say we are keeping 15 reps throughout, then it follows:

15 x 1 set / 10 x 1.5 sets / 5 x 3 sets - volume = 15 rep

15 x 1 + 10 additional reps / 10 x 2 + 5 additional reps / 5 x 5 sets - volume = 25 reps throughout.

Hope it makes sense now, and by the way we recommend for starting out to use the first setup with 15 reps right through.

<div>
(Fausto @ Sep. 17 2006,15:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">HSTis4me

Go and look up this thread Simplify and win there's enough info in there to get you rocking!</div>
Heheh Fausto maybe you should charge an admission fee for that &quot;rockin&quot; thread! heheh jk

HSTis4me: the best way to keep measurements is with a measuring tape, seeing your shoulder, chest (includes lats), arm and thigh measurements grow will be a big boost, to your ego and motivation. Its more accurate than &quot;looking in the mirror&quot;, which is still a good (but subjective) way to judge growth. Also keep your waist measurement (around your bellybutton) to see if you're putting on fat, and buy some skin-fold calipers if you can to measure body-fat percentage. But most guys put on most of their fat around the middle, so that's your best judge. Get someone else to take the measurements for you.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Heheh Fausto maybe you should charge an admission fee for that &quot;rockin&quot; thread!</div>

Really, hey? Not an HST phylosophy I am afraid, but lets just say I like to give some guidance, and the thread contains some cool info and not mine alone so...suitable! He, he, he.

By the way it is one of my plans to start my own gym in the next five or so years...then yes...I can charge at will!
laugh.gif

What kind of bad back do you have? If it's one of those bad backs that gets sore when you do squats/deadlifts, keep doing them. If not, do you have some kind of spinal injury?

Back