A Few Questions for someone very new to HST

psufan34

So I just found out about HST and I'm very excited to start this program. I've been reading articles for hours today it seems like about HST but I just have a couple questions which I'm sure someone, somewhere has already asked so thanks for your patience if I end up asking a question that has already been asked and answered.

Question 1: I plan on using two workouts A and B, and I was wondering if I should split my workouts into two complete body workouts where I'd be doing one exercise for each muscle or should I do instead all my upper body exercises one day and then all my lower body the next day. I should also add that I plan on upping the frequency so that I'm doing 6 workouts a week. I'll do 2 days on and 1 day off.

Question 2: Is this a good list of lifts for HST? (What should I add and take away?)
Bench
Dumbbell flys
Military press
Lateral Raises(I plan on only decreasing the weight by 5 pounds since I can only lateral raise 20 lbs for 15 reps.)
Romanian Deadlift
Lat pulldown or assisted chin-ups I haven't totally decided yet.
EZ Bar curls
DB Curls
Tricep Extensions
Rope Extensions
Squats
Leg Press
Shrugs

Question 3: Is it beneficial to instead of doing 1x15 at the start but doing 2x15, and then 2x10, and then 3x5?
I'm sorry for the lengthy post. I'm just trying to get something straightened out before I start this great training program.

I will reply simply, if others have some thoughts to add then please do so.

For question 1, and I think it will answer question 2 also, my advice would be to read simplify and win thread in HST forum. There is plenty of A-B split, and you will get a good idea of what exercise to use. I would focus on compound exclusively until you reach a good size. IMO, isolations are not that good.

For number 3, stick to the basic plan so start. If you want to tweak the program, ask the experts but if you're new to the program, stick with the 1x15, 2x10 and 3x5 first.

#1. For a 2 on 1 off schedule I would do a split routine. When the weights get heavy it will be too hard to recover in 24 hours between full body workouts. Keep in mind that if you do 2 on 1 off you aren’t working out each body part 3 times a week so your volume is a little lower than basic HST recommendations. Nothing wrong with that if you’re doing it for the right reasons.

#2. IMO the following exercises are the best strength and mass builders:

Deadlift (conventional is probably better for building mass)
Squat
Chin Ups (supinated grip)
Press
Dips
Rows (I prefer DBs)
Shrugs
Bench Press (I prefer incline)

Throw in some sort of Lateral Raise (for middle delts) and Calf Raise and you’ve got a balance routine. From there you can add in other exercises to work on what you feel are weak points and fill out a split routine if that’s the way you want to go.

#3. There is no problem with doing 2x15 however, if you focus on doing each rep of the 15s well I don’t personally think the extra set is necessary.

Ok so I took out a few exercises an found my 15 rep maxes yesterday. I plan on adding 20% for my 10 and then 15% for my five but I just have one last question is the 9-14 day strategic deconditioning period absolutely integral? Will I still see size gains if I decide to start this plan Monday?

Yes, unless you just came from a 1-2 week off. Without a SD, you are putting yourself in a situation that make the stimulus less effective. Therefore, I would advise to do so.

I just finished to test my maxes to and my SD started the 22th Dec and I don't plan to train until Jan. 2nd.

Yes, unless you just came from a 1-2 week off. Without a SD, you are putting yourself in a situation that make the stimulus less effective. Therefore, I would advise to do so.

I just finished to test my maxes to and my SD started the 22th Dec and I don't plan to train until Jan. 2nd.
Ok. I guess I'll just have to wait until after the new year to start. Can i still do cardio during this period and still have the same effectiveness?

If you haven't lifted anything in the region of your 5RMs in over a week, then you are probably good to go. Finding your 15RMs won't have messed with RBE much as the loads are relatively light. If, on the other hand, you have been lifting heavy loads consistently for some time prior to finding your 15RMs, then you will likely get better results from your first cycle if you SD properly.

If you haven't lifted anything in the region of your 5RMs in over a week, then you are probably good to go. Finding your 15RMs won't have messed with RBE much as the loads are relatively light. If, on the other hand, you have been lifting heavy loads consistently for some time prior to finding your 15RMs, then you will likely get better results from your first cycle if you SD properly.

Well I've been consistently lifting in the 8-12 rep range for the past few weeks. And I've been going to technical failure within that rep range so maybe I'll wait another two days and start. I mean I'm not lifting to absolute failure but I lift heavy enough that I fell that once I get somewhere between 8-12 reps that I won't be able to another rep with compromising form.

Having just gone through my first HST cycle, I'd say, use way, way fewer exercises. I used

reverse lunge
Romanian deadlift
db incline press
seated cable row
dip
lat pulldown
db shrug
lateral raise
reverse crunch

...and even there, by the time I got into the 5's, I started shedding the accessory work. Full-body workouts with your 5RM are no joke. I wasn't real enthused about lat raises by the end of the workout.

If you're married to the idea of 2 on, 1 off -- not to undercut those more knowledgeable here -- I'd consider going with a heavy-light-off split, something like...

HEAVY
squat or leg press
RDLs
upper-body big push (maybe a bench)
upper-body big pull (maybe a row)

LIGHT
easier push (e.g. cable press)
easier pull (lat pulldowns)
split squat or something
leg curl, back ext, etc.
arm stuff
abs

Having said that, I used the traditional full-body, 3x/week split and have zero regrets. Done right, it's plenty.

I recommend taking an extra day to test your 5's and 10's and get the real numbers. Treat it like its own workout. You won't be sorry.

Having just gone through my first HST cycle, I'd say, use way, way fewer exercises. I used

reverse lunge
Romanian deadlift
db incline press
seated cable row
dip
lat pulldown
db shrug
lateral raise
reverse crunch

...and even there, by the time I got into the 5's, I started shedding the accessory work. Full-body workouts with your 5RM are no joke. I wasn't real enthused about lat raises by the end of the workout.

If you're married to the idea of 2 on, 1 off -- not to undercut those more knowledgeable here -- I'd consider going with a heavy-light-off split, something like...

HEAVY
squat or leg press
RDLs
upper-body big push (maybe a bench)
upper-body big pull (maybe a row)

LIGHT
easier push (e.g. cable press)
easier pull (lat pulldowns)
split squat or something
leg curl, back ext, etc.
arm stuff
abs

Having said that, I used the traditional full-body, 3x/week split and have zero regrets. Done right, it's plenty.

I recommend taking an extra day to test your 5's and 10's and get the real numbers. Treat it like its own workout. You won't be sorry.

Well I ended up reducing it to 11 exercises. I'm really making sure I hit everything so I still have a lot of movements. My A/B workout is now

A
Bench
Chest Dips
Close Grip Bench
Squat
Shrugs
Crunches

B
Military Press
Upright Rows
Chin-ups
Deadlift
EZ Bar Curls

I do like the heavy then light idea but I have a pretty bad back for a 20 year old so I have to split up squat and deadlifts or I won't be able to move.

It isn't really necessary to target every single muscle group since you can just use compounds which have overlap in the muscle groups they hit. That said, your layout doesn't look bad. You might find as you get into the heavier weights that you will have to ditch the ez-bar curls. Especially with chins and upright rows beforehand, the chins will probably hit your biceps pretty hard and the upright rows will possibly burn out your forearms before you even get to the curls. I don't like heavy curls anyway, I think they are bad for your elbows. I do not allow anyone I work with to go heavier than their 8 RM on curls anymore.

It isn't really necessary to target every single muscle group since you can just use compounds which have overlap in the muscle groups they hit. That said, your layout doesn't look bad. You might find as you get into the heavier weights that you will have to ditch the ez-bar curls. Especially with chins and upright rows beforehand, the chins will probably hit your biceps pretty hard and the upright rows will possibly burn out your forearms before you even get to the curls. I don't like heavy curls anyway, I think they are bad for your elbows. I do not allow anyone I work with to go heavier than their 8 RM on curls anymore.

Haha yea. I saved Ez bar curls for last this morning and my biceps were burning before I even started curling.

Back