A few thoughts on changing my training

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_domineaux
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_domineaux

I've been away from the boards quite a while. My work has changed so much that following an HST training program is near impossible.

During the past four months I would get started in the 15s and just about the time I was to start the 10s I had to quit workouts for weeks on end (it seems). I then would restart the 15s...my progress has been pretty miniscule.

I'm now finishing up the HST 15s tomorrow and if all goes well I'll start the 10s Monday. I doubt I'll be able to finish a two week cycle of the 10s....I'll be unable to workout for several weeks and then back to the 15s again. LOL - lots of good ole SD.

I know I'm not the first to experience irregular workouts, or lack of workouts for several weeks on end.

I'm thinking I should discontinue HST and take up another training method that might better accomdate sporatic workouts.

I could probably fit in 2 or three workouts a week, but not as planned. In other words I might be able to workout Monday and Tuesday of one week, and the next only Friday, etc.

I've thought about going to some type of progressive resistance workouts.

Something along these lines:

Perform 2 sets x 6 reps, then next workout 2 sets x 8 reps, then next workout 2 sets x 10 reps - then up the weight and recycle to 2 sets x 6 reps...repeat. I know this is reverse the hst, but it would be easier to facilitate weight changes and possibly get some increases in load to facilitate some improvement. As it is, I'm doing the same weights for the 15s I was using 4 months ago.

What about a training program using just 6-7 reps x 2 sets at weight with about 4 reps for burn at 1/4 less weight at the end of each set? I'd only increase the weight as I felt stronger. THis way I'd keep the same reps and provide the burn needed to prepare for ever increasing loads.

I'm sold on HST, but I'm just not able to regularly maintain the HST program of progression. Maybe, there is a way...that's why I'm posting this thread. I'll definitely be back onto HST when I can follow through with regular workouts again.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments.

thumbs-up.gif

i personally would do it something like this because although you arent incrementing your weight over a long period i believe it is enough in your predicament.and i would go 100% load for each day.although people will say that you only use the different rep ranges to accomidate load, i think youll benefit from both,

1st day in the week full body 15s or 10s
2nd day fullbody 5s

depends on how many days you can make it really,the hst program relies on you being able to complete the cycles(more or less)so it doesnt look like it will work out.

good luck

Back