A frequency question

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_domineaux
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_domineaux

Currently, I'm doing a 6 days a week 2 day split with Upper Body MWD and Lower/& back TTS. These workouts followed up with 1 hour fat burn aerobic walking on the treadmill.

Reading the HST articles dealing with frequency you are basically advised to workout same muscles within 48 hours. So my split addresses that well enough now.

I'd be interested to read what I might expect if I changed to a frequency of appx 60-72 hours to work the same muscles. I know there are a lot of guys doing 3 days splits using other than the HST training program.

I'd appreciate reading comments on how much affect changing my workout frequency I might be expected to have on progress.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]MWD
I'll assume you meant to type MWF.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]These workouts followed up with 1 hour fat burn aerobic walking on the treadmill.
I wouldn't do that at all! Your body will be anabolic after your workout. I'm sure you know this, and that you need a protein re-feed, most likely something fast like a whey-protein shake. If you took that to the gym with you, I guess you could run after that, but I would advise doing the cardio at a different time of the day (you don't have any off days) or a short session before lifting.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'd be interested to read what I might expect if I changed to a frequency of appx 60-72 hours to work the same muscles.
That's less frequency. More or less you would be training your muscles twice per week which is 67% as efficient as 3x/week training.

The best frequency you could do would be an AM/PM split of sorts 3x/week or up to 6x/week - if you kept the volume in chec, ate a lot, and raised your protein intake you could make some serious games.

-Colby

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]MWD

I'll assume you meant to type MWF.

YES

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]These workouts followed up with 1 hour fat burn aerobic walking on the treadmill.
I wouldn't do that at all! Your body will beanabolic

------do you mean catabolic?

after your workout.  I'm sure you know this, and that you need a protein re-feed, most likely something fast like a whey-protein shake.  If you took that to the gym with you, I guess you could run after that, but I would advise doing the cardio at a different time of the day (you don't have any off days) or a short session before lifting.

I do a 48G protein shake before the weight workout, and you're thinking I need a recharge?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'd be interested to read what I might expect if I changed to a frequency of appx 60-72 hours to work the same muscles.

That's less frequency.  More or less you would be training your muscles twice per week which is 67% as efficient as 3x/week training.
The best frequency you could do would be an AM/PM split of sorts 3x/week or up to 6x/week - if you kept the volume in chec, ate a lot, and raised your protein intake you could make some serious games.
-Colby

There is no way I can workout AM/PM  - I'm blocking out 2-1/2 hours now each day to accomodate the workout and aerobics.  I've tackled it hard and to be very honest...my progress is excellent now.  I don't have a bit of problem doing the aerobics after a weight workout, either upper or lower body.  I think my body is very well adjusted to it now.
My reason for asking is...I'd love to keep my progress as it is now, but give myself a little more rest between workouts so I can work more (make money) time. LOL

Colby, thanks so much for your reply.

My .02

1. It's about managing your time
2. It's about managing your workouts within the constraints you have from #1
3. It's about making your workouts and variables within those workouts effective as possible.

With those in mind I have to disgree with Colby and his statement that 2X per week is only 67% as effective as 3, there is nothing really showing this.

Advantages to twice weekly workouts is being able to recover more from more volume and retaining more strength for heavier loading.

If you wish to workout 2X week (no matter the split), up the volume a tad. Upping the volume can lead to longer workouts so in order to stay within reasonable time frames adjust out some of the isolation exercises and concentrate on the large compound lifts, if time allows at the end of the workout then throw in some isolation stuff.

An upper-lower split for 4 workouts per week is certainly viable.

I think your caloric requirements would drop though - 6x exercise to 4x exercise.

What do you hope to gain from a change in frequency?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jester @ Nov. 19 2005,2:43)]An upper-lower split for 4 workouts per week is certainly viable.
I think your caloric requirements would drop though - 6x exercise to 4x exercise.
What do you hope to gain from a change in frequency?
My reason for asking is...I'd love to keep my progress as it is now, but give myself a little more rest between workouts so I can work more (make money) time.

Honestly, I feel like I'm in the gym or traveling to or from the gym most of the time. Now, I feel bad as heck about missing a day. I was just thinking if I modified and could lower the frequency of workouts and still get good results I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I enjoy working out, but I've got a great personal life as well.

thumbs-up.gif

Was just curious :)

I'd go with the 2 upper, 2 lower split MT-TF or the like, leaves the weekend free.

Back