A quick story & questions.

jtb030

I have been implementing HST since Memorial day doing a AM/PM split 3X a week. I am extremely pleased with the results. Clothes are tighter in the right places, body weight has shot up about 10#'s and I feel my strength levels will be at all time highs when I finish the cycle.

My current routine has been:

AM Deadlifts
Dips
Rows
Military Press
Curls
Triceps Extensions

PM Squats
Bench
Rows
Military Press
Curls
Triceps Extension

After going through this, along with some advice from this board I will be tweaking (Cutting back a bit on the ISO's)
As I enter the 5's.

--Speaking of tweaking. Yesterday I did my morning workout and it was some of the hardest work I have ever done in the gym ( I was at my last workout of 10's) I did get through it and felt accomplished. I went to work and when I returned went for my second workout of the day.
I was a bit anxious as I knew I had some heavy lifting and was a bit worn out from the effects of the previous workout plus regular work.

I did my warmups for the deadlift and on the very first rep of my first heavy set I felt a pop in the right side of my neck. At first I thought I was O.K. but then I felt the strain.

I have had these before and after deciding it was a bad idea to continue I iced on and off for about two hours.

I wanted to know what you guys think. Shall I do this last workout for the 10's or should I start the 5's when I am healed?

Also, when I get to my last workout on the second week of 5's should I continue adding weight to the bar or just ride out my predetermined max for a few weeks?

Thankyou,
JTB

Your workout looks pretty fine to me,the only thing I'd drop is the bi/tris work 2x/day oh...and you may be doing deads a little too frequently else I'd leave everything else as is.

Try it out during teh 5's and see how it goes,else just drop the deadlift frequency a bit and the isos for one part (either AM or PM).

Popin the neck? WTH? Could it be traps? Well, if it hurtsa afterwards its worth letting it heal up, Ice is a good thing immediatelly after...but you may want to see a chiro if it carries on.

Cheers
wink.gif

Thanks Fausto I appreciate the response and from navigating the boards I see you are a great HST Vet and all around great guy.

I had problems with my neck on deadlifts when I tilted my head back too far. I understand some people do this when deadlifting heavy out of habit or instinct. It made a big difference for me to keep my head in the neutral position or slightly down. However I dont think my neck ever popped. It would just cramp up like crazy and hurt for a few days to a week. It made deadlifting unbearable.

Yikes, the neck thing sounds pretty scary. I think Fausto is right on... if you can handle the deads and squats 3x a week, go for it. But if you start to feel overtraining come on, I'd consider dropping deads from Wednesday.

As a guy with a bad neck, let me be one to tell you not to risk a bad injury. My neck problems come from a car accident and a gymnastics injury about 15 years ago. Still, if I lift the wrong way or don't listen to my body, I'm down for weeks at a time. For me, the neck is an Achilles heel, and I'm extremely sensitive to pops, pulls, strains, etc.

If you are achy, take a day or two off and let everything heal up. Also, stretch the area that you felt a pop frequently and gently. That will not only speed recovery but will also help protect the area when you next begin to lift.

To your last question - if your body will allow you to extend those 5's, do it. That's part of the HST hallmark, my friend - progress the load frequently, surpass your RM's, but also listen to your body to know when it has had enough and needs a break.

Be careful - but much luck through the rest of your cycle!

Thanks Gentlemen for the responses and advice.

I have only been here (The boards) a short time but I can see already this is an outstanding community.
I have begun my 5's and will attempt Deadlifts today.

My neck injury is real close to being healed--just some slight stiffness now. I have somewhat altered my program and it is as follows:

AM

Squats 3x5 (Alternate Deadlifts in place of Squats A/B)
Dips 3x5
Rows 3x5
Military 3x5
Extensions 3x5

PM

Bench 3x5
Chins 3x5
Military 3x5
Curls 3x5

Thanks for the suggestions.

I sometimes workout at a commercial gym and most often, especially lately have worked out in my basement. I have the very basics at home (Power rack, bench, utility bench, Thick bar a few dumbbell options)Dip/Chin unit) Hence is my reasoning for Military Presses twice a day.

When I get home from work for the 2nd workout to save a little time I have been just loading up the bar and doing militaries. I don't at this time have quite enough weight for any dumbbell shoulder pressing.

When I get to my next cycle I do plan on incorporating Arnold pressing as a A/B type split with the militaries as I hope to be lifting more at the commercial gym.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on approach after the Max on the 5's?

Thanks,
JTB

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Can anyone give me some suggestions on approach after the Max on the 5's?</div>

It seems that you do not have a spotter. However, you can still do negatives with Dips, Rows, Chins, and Curls. Other than that, try clustering reps, static holds, pulsing techniques, etc...

Not sure if this is what Colby had in mind for rows? but you can do seated cable rows where you raise the weight with both arms and lower with one, doing so in an alternating fashion up to your rep count (eg. 10 total reps, 5 for each arm). You'll need to experiment with the load a little as just halving the load you use for your 5RM will seem easy. A narrow, parallel-grip handle is best for this.

Push-presses are a great way to continue a progression during post-5s in place of regular presses. Don't use your quads too much. Use your calves to help push the bar up. Then lower under control. No spotter necessary.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Can anyone give me some suggestions on approach after the Max on the 5's?</div>

I like getting my strength up as much as possible at the end, to make my next routine even more solid. Go heavy and implement some max-stim as needed to protect yourself from excessive fatigue.

You may want to try machine work...to still be able to work around and a nagging ache.

But don't work around an injury!

Injury is bad....aches and pain...well thats daily for a lot of us!
biggrin.gif

Very True Joe.

My neck is 100%. I think I may have not have been completely warmed up.
I won't make that mistake again.

Back