Ab/core work

seemore

I noticed that in Bryan's sample routine on the start page that he only had 2 sets of 10 reps for ab exercises, but did not specifiy what was being done. It is generally propagated that abs need bigger 20-25 reps of 3 sets. So how do you add resistance to keep the rep ranges as low as 10?

I hate abs and would love to only do 10 reps.

Train abs as you would anything else. Don't believe people who say abs need high reps. That's absurd.
You can do whatever your preferred movement is for abs. Personally, I do situps while holding a plate to my chest, or cable crunches now that I have some pulleys. That seems to work well.

I haven't done any direct ab work in a while now but, beneath my nice layer of fat, my abs still feel pretty well developed. I'm not suggesting that anyone else does this, just that I find that heavy squats (front squats in particular), deads, heavy chins and other compound movements involve my abs and other core muscles enough to keep them strong.

If I start up ab work again in the future, I will return to doing something like Totz suggested although my preference is for weighted leg raises and weighted roman chair sit-ups

I generally do weighted incline crunches in HST style. I used to do them on an incline sit-up bench, but I had to change gyms recently and the closest thing they have is a Roman Chair (about the same, but not adjustable and less of a backing).

I hold a dumbbell up off my lap and close to my body to add weight.

You could also change the incline height if it's adjustable, to a point, but I've found it best to keep the incline the same and increase the weight.

You want to be sure the incline isn't so low that resistance comes off the abs as you sit up.

The hardest part is getting the dumbbell to the Roman Chair; it's like a two block walk for me now !!!!

80 lbs feels pretty heavy when you have to carry it that far. Of course I try to look like it's not a struggle or anything. Wouldn't want anyone to know how heavy it really feels!

Problem with your abs is that for most people, they are covered by visceral fat. High rep ab work won't make them appear. An HST routine for abs simply promotes greater size of your abs, so when you finally do shed that adipose tissue, your abs will be busting out of your midsection.

BTW, do not forget our friends on the sides, the obliques.

Back