About to start my first cycle

creacher

I've been meaning to follow a specific program (versus my own routines) for a long time, And Bryan has me sold. I think I've picked a keeper :)

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of this week is dedicated to finding my 15, 10, and 5 maxes, respectively. After this week, I plan on taking a week off and begin that following Monday (effectively SD'ing for 9 days). However, I have a couple questions:

Firstly, I tried a couple searches but couldn't find anyone promoting Close-Grip Bench Press for Triceps. Being as this exercise involves heavier weight than conventional skullcrushers, along with it being a great compound exercise, I'm curious as to why it isn't recommended? Same thing goes for Hammer curls. Instead of traditional curls which mostly isolate the bicep, Hammer curls activate the bicep, brachioradialis, and the brachialis. Again, a compound exercise. Any reason why these two exercises wouldn't fit in as core Tri and Bi exercises for HST?

Having said that, here's my routine (in order):

BB Close-Grip Bench Press
DB Hammer Curls
DB Shrugs
DB Military Press
DB Rows (replace with Chins in the 5's)
DB Incline Press
DB Laterals
BB Wrist Curls
DB Bent-Over Laterals
DB Squats
DB Calf Raises
DB Weighted Crunches

(PLEASE critique this if you see room for improvement. I have a week to get this figured out.)

By the way, the exercises are ordered this way in so that I start off fresh working my weakest points first (particularly my Triceps, Biceps, and Shoulders) as my arms in general are lacking with the rest of my upper body. This is my way of placing more emphasis on arms. Is it a good idea?

Finally, I'll be doing 1 set of 15s, 2 sets of 10's, and 3 sets of 5's for each exercise. But say for instance I do my first set of 10s with exercise A. Do I rest and do exercise B, rest, the finish the second set of the exercise A? Or should I do 10 reps of A, rest, and do another set of 10 for A?

Okay so I had more than a couple questions ;)

Thanks alot for any help

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention: I workout at home but have access to a Chin-up Bar, Barbell, and plenty of Dumbbells

The main focus when considering exercise selection when setting up an HST cycle should be the incorporation of compound exercises, IMO.  If you feel that you prefer one compound movement over another, there is no reason not for you to do that.  However, if you are including the correct movements in your routine, you may find that you don't really need any direct arm work.  It was hard for me to believe as well, but I made some of my best growth when I dropped the bi and tri work.
As far on your exercises, they look good to me, but I might drop one of the shoulder isolation exercises or the forearm work and add in another back movement.  Also, if you do decide to include arm work into your routine, do not train them before larger muscles such as chest and back.  You would be better served to perform them last and try to increase the frequency at which you train them, if you really feel that working them will make them grow. However, what I feel might help the most in stimulating their growth is performing heavy compounds for chest, shoulders, and back.
I find that it helps in the preservation of time if I do my routine in a circuit type fashion.  That means that I will work one body part and then go to an opposing muslce for another set.  But, you can train however you feel you would like.

First of all, thanks baby a for the quick response.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It was hard for me to believe as well, but I made some of my best growth when I dropped the bi and tri work.

I know other HST veterans support this as well, but it just doesn't make sense. It's just hard to follow. I'd be so paranoid that my arms aren't getting any stimulus. And being that my arms are what are lacking with the rest of my body, I would assume I'd need to focus on them the most, haha.

Still, I'm willing to give it a try. Though, I see no reason to give up Close-grip BP, as it's still a heavy compound that utilizes more than just tri's. Also, does the same principle apply to forearms? Did you notice gains in your forearms despite no direct work?

Rows are the only option for the back that I have access to at the moment, unfortunately. I can only do about 7-8 chins at one time (which is why I'll be implementing them in the 5's). Of course, there's Stiff-Leg Deadlifts but those don't involve any lat work, nor do they focus on the back that much. I'd love to know if there's another exercise that I'm just missing that can be done via dumbbells/barbell.

Hey there creacher, welcome to HST!

First off, I agree with baby a with regards to not working your arms before larger bodyparts. That can hinder your bigger lifts. I always do arms at the very end of my workouts, though they do get hit pretty hard on back and chest. I share your concern about not doing direct arm work but, for my next (fourth) cycle, am seriously thinking about doing 5-6X-weekly workouts comprised of four or five "big" lifts. Another guy here has been doing that with good results.

Second, it's true that close-grip benches are an excellent triceps exercise. I do them regularly.

And third, I think stiff-legged deads definitely do hit the back: they're second to none for developing the spinal erectors, and they hit the traps to some extent, too.

Best of luck with your first cycle!

I'm glad creacher posed those question and glad ya'll answred. I will be figuring out my 5 Rm tomorrow and then will be on SD for 9 days and then start.

Thanks to creacher, baby a, and gripstrength :-)

Back