Add things as HST program goes on?

MO75

Had a look at the tweak your HST ebook, and it says in there that you should start out at the 15s with just the bare basics, and add your tweaks as you go along (so add something during the 10s, then more at the 5s). This is kind of opposite to what I was intending to do for my 2nd HST cycle. I was planning on having my eight core compound exercises, and during the 15s when the volume is a bit lower having a few extra exercises (bicep curls, machine pullovers, tricep pushdowns, some flyes as well). Then as the program goes along I'd take an exercise out here and there when the volume becomes a bit too much, so that by the time I'm on to my +5RMs I'm only doing the core compounds (even thinking about splitting them up into a twice weekly push/pull split so I can work on ekeing out as much as I can in terms of pushing for PBs). Would that be the wrong way to do it?
rock.gif

I think what you suggest is fine. Just keep the work done progressing along with the loads. So don't do so much early on in the cycle that you can't keep up later on. Progressive loading is an important part of HST but it's also important to keep the work going up (or at least not dropping off) as the cycle continues.

Tweaks may (or may not) be more useful the more seasoned a lifter you are. If you are only on your second cycle, and haven't been in the lifting game for a long while prior to HST, then the tweaks in the Pimp my HST ebook will likely be unnecessary. Some of the info is useful, though, if for example you are adding isos to your regular compound lifts and want to pick good movements to add in more stretch.

For most folks, a good steady program of mainly compounds, following the usual load progression throughout the cycle, along with a good dietry plan will be good enough to maintain progress for many cycles.

Thanks for that Lol. The main thing is that I found in my first cycle the early workouts, particularly the 15s and early 10s, were a bit light, so I'm thinking I'd rather do a few more exercises while I'm up for it rather than just pack up and go home feeling like I've done a half arsed workout... I guess I should do them while I can, and stop if I have to really?

You don't need to feel drained after a workout. I prefer to feel like I could do another 50% of my workout when I finish. That helps keep my motivation up and prevents overtraining. I only do Iso's with higher reps as I don't feel I get a good workout with them with heavier weights. Some people do the reverse. It's a matter of personal preference.

It would also be a good time to do shoulder rotations to strengthen the rotator muscles along with the prime movers to prevent injury later on...more cardio if you wish, and a bit of extra work on your problem spots.
Part of what the 15's are good for is prepping your form for the heavier stuff later. Not to mention healing the joints - I'm a witness to that!

Yeah, I do cardio on my off days (some rowing and treadmill or cross trainer thing). I've also been thinking about doing a sort of mini accessory session along with one of my cardio sessions - basically covering abs, also rotator cuff exercises, I was trying to think of other stuff that might need some work, maybe some grip work or something, like hanging leg raises maybe? Static contractions? I dunno, just trying to think of something that's going to keep me getting stronger and stay injury free really.

Shoot man, you've got more ideas than I do! BTW, I started hanging leg raises and it's doing wonders for my messed up back! I used to think of rotator stuff and leg raises as unecessary fluff, but was I ever WRONG! They get you up for bigger things.

God, I love this website!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've also been thinking about doing a sort of mini accessory session along with one of my cardio sessions - basically covering abs, also rotator cuff exercises</div>

This has worked well for me as a time-efficient way to incorporate these exercises. Just 'cause I hate getting up any earlier, I usually do it in the evening after morning cardio. Have been doing this just like you are thinking -- abs, RCs and some grip work. Go for it.

Yeah, if you feel the need to add exercises then I like quad's idea of RC exercises at the end of workout. You can also do some grip exercises or do cardio if you're fat. I just don't like the idea of doing bicep curls because they have been known to cause aids.

Cheers for the advice, I'll put it into practice this cycle (starting tomorrow, can't wait for the SD to end).

Back