I have a pretty standard HST workout:

Deads
Squat
Military Press
Inc. Bench
Dips
Rows
Pull ups

What do you think about adding a power lift, say snatches, to the end of each wprkout? I've got less than a year's experience lifting, and zero experience with that lift, so I'm thinking to start extra light. I don't want to hurt myself or anything, and this seems like a complicated movement to get down.

So anyway, I'd sart light, progress, but still stay very light, all throughout the cycle -- never reaching an RM. Just practice the movement for 8 - 10 weeks.

Why? Variety... to learn something new... to be able to maybe train in the power lifts some day.

Then in a subsequent cycle, practice clean and jerk in much the same way.

Thoughts?

Good idea but you might want to start with the C and J which is a lot easier to learn and execute and is safer than the snatch. I also think it is better for hypertrophy.

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Oct. 27 2006,20:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Good idea but you might want to start with the C and J which is a lot easier to learn and execute and is safer than the snatch. I also think it is better for hypertrophy.</div>
Thanks for the advice! As I said, I really don't know squat about these lifts, and advice like that is what I need.

I don''t know about hypertrophy, not in my first, call it &quot;learning cycle&quot; anyways. I think I'd use such light weight that nothing appreciable would come of it. I could probably get to the point where the C&amp;J was part of my regular HST workout though, eh?

Would you do that in addition to the lifts I already do, or omit dead lift and military press?

I would do it on the offdays or at the end of the workout, using very light weight or even just the bar, until you have the form down perfect. It would be best if you knew someone or could find someone that is experienced in the lift to watch you, or record yourself and post the video online to be critiqued.

I think adding snatches and C&amp;J's are a great idea. I agree with Totentanz, it really helps to have someone who knows the lifts to help you. O&amp;G is also right, start with the C&amp;J. When you have the form down and start using more weight, you can alternate with your rows, especially if doing just power cleans or full cleans. There's no need to drop OH press because the press is a very different lift than a jerk.

I do HST MWF and olympic lifting on Tue. and Thurs. Just keep your volume low if you do them on different days as Totentanz suggested. Definitely start doing OH squats if you're going to be training the snatch.

It's probably better to do them on off days because doing snatches at the end of a workout could lead to injury real fast because as you fatigue your form breaks down.

Back