Advanced techniques whilst cutting?

cluelessgoon

Do the board think there is any value or maybe more value, in performing a more advanced HST routine whilst agressively cutting for an entire cycle. By more advanced I mean including some of the following:

- twice daily 3 x week training
- extra metabolic work during the 5s and post 5s
- partials in the post 5s
- stretching
- clustering
- omitting the 15s

Naturally the goal would be to hang onto the greatest amount of lean tissue whilst losing fat.

maybe omiting the 15s...
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

I am curious about this too.

I would think that stretching would be even more important in this situation. It seems to me that working out with a calorie deficit and thus lower energy levels would increase the chancecs of injury. Stretching should help mitigate that.

I thought partials were metabolic work. Is there another reason for doing partials in the post 5s?

Clustering is a way to manage the CNS. I would think that it is even more important when cutting.

From what I understand doing 15s with a caloric deficit limits the benefits of that kind of work in terms of joint and ligament health.

I have seen missing out the 15s as a popular choice for cutting (or just generally by some). Personally I really feel I benifit greatly from them, although I've generally been bulking. Unfortunately I really feel like I need them this time as I still have some pain from a 10x3 routine I tried a month ago.

Perhaps a moderate approach would be to eat a medium carb maintenance diet for the 15s then switch down to lower KCals and carbs for a period of 10s, 5s, 5*s, thereby getting some healing from the 15s...

Rather than omit the 15s, I prefer to keep calories at maintenance during the 15s and then start cutting calories once you get into the 10s. Other advanced techniques such as loaded stretches, etc etc are probably useless. Clustering can be helpful though if fatigue is getting to you.

Because lighter weights (relative to your strength level) don't spare lean mass very well compared to heavier weights.

yes i agree 15s are
cool.gif
as tot said eat at maintenance for the 15s.
i said omitt them because that was one of the options you put up.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

I ussually lose the most weight during the 15's

but probably the most muscle too

I like the idea of keeping carbs up during the 15s and staying at maintenance until reaching the 10s. I'm one of the few who seems to like the 15s!

I also like the idea of doing more sets and keeping the weights slightly lower towards the end e.g. 3x5 with 150 instead of 1x5 with 160. I've got to be careful with volume - that's why I need the 15s now!

Back