Advise and Critique

countryboy

Hi all first post and would like any input that may come.

Ok have done a heap of reading and research and have just finished my first hst cycle. did two alterante workouts 3 times a week.

Workout A

Squat
Barbell Rows
Dumbell Inclines
Delt Raise
Standing Calf Raises
Ez Bar curls
Tricep Dips

Workout B

Deadlift
Chins
Flat Barbell
Shoulder Press
Calf Press
Alt DB curls
Skull Crushers.

Rep range

Week 1&2

Core exercises 1 x 15
Calves and arms 2 X 12

Week 3&4

Core Exercises 2 X 10
Calves and Arms 3 X 8

Week 5&6

Core Exercises 3 X 5
Calves and Arms were dropped altogether.

Am currently having a week off, because i felt i really needed it and will start second cycle in 5 days time.

Initial thoughts after first cycle.

1) Training 3 times a week is perfect for me, family, work and recovery wise.
2) With a diet of 500 cals above maintainence i put on around 4 kilos ( a little over 8 pounds) some fat for sure but very happy with those gains.
3)hit a pb on squat and deadlift in the 5 rep range
4)i really like the simplicity of the programme and changing rep schemes every 2 weeks adds variety to the programme.

If anyone has any input to my exercise choice and rep scheme i would be very interested in hearing some opinions.

Will look at running the same cycle and diet but will add in some cardio, just for general fitness becuase it makes me feel good.

Not much I'd change to the program, except maybe switching to higher volume for compounds and less for isos...but that is personal anyway.

Good choice going on extra cardio, it'll help you shed the fat gained through the program, 8 pounds is good enough, 1Lb/week basically.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">less for isos</div>

Take out the curls... you want more of your focus and energy devoted to heavy compound movements.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Sep. 06 2007,10:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">less for isos</div>

Take out the curls... you want more of your focus and energy devoted to heavy compound movements.</div>
even in the first four weeks colby, i do drop all the iso in the last two weeks when i do my &quot;heavy&quot; work?

Back