Almost finsihed 5 block

Matt Daniels

I was just wondering after I finish 5's an keep going...should I be hitting failure...also I don't have a partner...does that mean it would be a good idea to use dan moores theory and do Max stimulation?

Are you talking about finishing 2 weeks of 5s, but not being able to do negatives? If so, then if you want to progress the weights some instead of just repeating, Max-Stim is a good option. As always, depending on how your joints feel, your level of experience, etc., you should use judgement in how heavy you go in order to avoid injury.

Some go to failure at or near the end of a cycle, generally it's not necessary most of the time. Same caveats as I mentioned above about going heavier.

Try this: Increment a 5 RM by 5 or 10 pounds. Do 15 reps max stim style. Next workout, do it again with clustering. Next workout, see if you can do 3x5. I had a couple of lifts work that way for me. If it doesn't work, keep doing the max-stim or clustering.

whats clustering
rock.gif
..srry..im a newb.

Clustering is easiest to explain with an example. If, for instance, you're in the 5s and get to a weight too heavy to do 3 sets of 5, you might use clustering as follows. Do a first set of 5, rest a bit, do a set of 3, rest again, do 3 more, rest, do a set of 2, rest again and do 2 again. Total reps 15, done when you couldn't do 3 sets of 5. Various combinations of sets/reps/amount of rest are possible.

It's similar to Max-Stim but different in that it seeks to manage fatigue enough to allow completion of the desired number of reps, but Max-Stim seeks (as much as possible) to completely eliminate fatigue.

Back