alternate A/B split evrday VS fullBbdy split

Louno

Ok i was talking with a friend and he was telling me that working out everyday with different muscle group alternating ( monday upper body , tuesday lower body , etc... for example ) is better than working out full body once every 2 days ...
i remember seeing here that it makes no difference, but some people like it better because it makes the stay in the gym shorter ( but you have to come every day ) ...

is there any research i could show my friend to prove him im right, and if not could someone give me the advantage if any of alternating muscle groups everyday ?

thanks

3x-a-week, AM/PM, or however you do the split has it's advantages such as more energy per workout and less of an effect on the CNS.

-Colby

Just keep in mind that most people do this in order to get more volume in. As long as your workouts are evenly spaced apart about 36-48 hours from one another, apart from what colby said there is no other particular advantage in taking your current routine and splitting it up into two halves just for the sake of it. If, however, by doing this you increase the overall volume, it's definitely worth it provided you can eat accordingly.

It's all in the FAQ really. Look for AM/PM splits.

its not really am/pm split its more like day 1 - groupe a , day 2 groupe b , day 3 groupe a , day 4 groupe b , etc ...
each group works different muscles ?

ure saying that the only reason it might be better is because you have more energy since the workout is shorter thus you could end up lifting more ?

There is notthing with an A / B split per se. But you want as much frequency as possible. The only reason to do shorter workout is it enables you to do more of them more frequently You want to hit the muscle as often as posssible. Also workouts of an hour or less cuts down on the catabolic (sp?0 effect.

Bob

well the frequency remain the same... when you do a full body workout you are doing A AND B in one workout, each group has different muscle group , so you still have 1 day of rest between each time youre gonna work the same muscle... ?

is there any research about this ?

my friend told me that his doctor told him that alternate A/B split everyday is better for mass than full body workouts ...

Louno,

Yes, I mean
Day1 - group A
Day2 - group B
Day3 - group A
Day4 - group B
and so on, groups A and B working different muscles, as your friend suggests.

As long as the frequency and the volume is the same, the only real advantages over the standard 3x a week full body program are those colby mentioned.

A/B splits can be upper then lower, or even full body A/B splits( different excercies fullbody for A and B). The doctor probably was using his knowledge of traditional training, high volume, training close to failure and all that stuff. So in essence by creating an A/B split will increase the frequency by letting upper rest and training lower and going back and forth. But, because of HST principles, freq is already factored in. As long as you can keep incrementing your loads and avoiding CNS burnout, you should go as frequently as you can with full body. If you feel that fatigue is catching up with you then start splitting it up with A/B everyday, or A/B 2x day. It is all up to how well you can manage your CNS. Extreme higher frequency is debateable on how much more hypertrophy it can provide vs. high frequency. But as long as you eat over maintenance, train freq within CNS limits, increment load you should see very good gains.

if you plan on going crazy high frequency remember you must eat like a monster to create calorie excess.

pzhang

Back