Alternating exercises?

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_fzrr
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_fzrr

Quick noobie question to do with progressive loading and alternating exercises. When you're alternating say chest between incline and dips I've always wondered something.

If you start off the first day with incline you'll be doing your max rm with dips right? Well on that 5th day when you do incline are you doing the max you can do on the incline bench do you drop it off a bit?

So for 10 reps on day 5 are you doing your max incline for 10 reps and then on day 6 doing your max dips for 10 reps?

<div>
(fzrr @ Jun. 01 2007,07:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So for 10 reps on day 5 are you doing your max incline for 10 reps and then on day 6 doing your max dips for 10 reps?</div>
Yeah, I used to worry about things like that.
smile.gif

Certainly if you want to do your 10RM for incline on the 5th w/o it isn't going to hurt. However, say you were alternating every exercise that you did, then you'd end up with two RM w/os back to back. More than likely you would still be fatigued from w/o 5 on your 6th w/o unless you took an extra day for recovery.

In the end, it's not a problem to just do your RMs for one of the exercises. You will be getting to your RMs for both once you are at the end of 5s and beyond. If you like you can alternate the starting order of your alternated exercises each cycle. Then you can hit RMs with both exercises for 15s and 10s over two cycles.

The main thing is to keep pushing for more load each cycle so that by the end of the 5s all your lifts have increased over the previous cycle. A higher 5RM will translate to higher 10RM and 15RM (15RMs are affected more by creatine too).

<div>
(Lol @ May 31 2007,18:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The main thing is to keep pushing for more load each cycle so that by the end of the 5s all your lifts have increased over the previous cycle. A higher 5RM will translate to higher 10RM and 15RM (15RMs are affected more by creatine too).</div>
Great advice!

Back