AM/PM split?

kinggrub

I have just finished my first HST cycle. Is very pleased with the result. Maybe I gain a little too much fat.

Anyway, this cycle I have used an AM/PM split. (To keep the workout short)

AM.

Bench 2-4 sets
B.O row 2-4 sets
Abs 2-4 sets

PM.

Squat 2-4 sets
M.press 2-4 sets
C.g bench 2-4 sets

Next cycle I hesitate of do like this, and split up the set instead =>

AM.

Bench 1-2 sets
B.O row 1-2 sets
Abs 1-2 sets
Squat 1-2 sets
M.press 1-2 sets
C.g bench 1-2 sets

PM.

Bench 1-2 sets
B.O row 1-2 sets
Abs 1-2 sets
Squat 1-2 sets
M.press 1-2 sets
C.g bench 1-2 sets

What split is best, to produce the most muscle gain?

King

Either split is ok, as you doubling up in exercises, you are reducing frequency equally, it is almost "tit for tat".

The difference to gain muscle would be in your nutritional input, seeing that you feel you have put in too much fat, cut intake by about 300 calories or so and see how it goes.

It is better to have a 1lb progress per week with little fat than to have say 5 of which 3 are fat.

Thanks.

I gain totalt 17 Ib under 8 week. Form 12,8 % bodyfat to 15,5 %

I go with your suggestion, and cut intake by about 300 calories.

With the 2nd type of split, since he's working the same muscle about 8-10 hours later, wouldn't he be better off just doing 1-2 sets every 24 hours? On the heavy days it would give him more time to recover (otherwise the PM w/o might hurt bad) and will evenly distribute the anabolic time (instead of w/o, 8 hours growing, w/o 36 hours growing, 12 hours nothing).

What do people think?

The unknown here is how many days per week Kinggrub works out. If it is 5-6 times per week I would say the 2nd workout is better but I would decrease the volume to 1 set versus 2. If the answer is 3 times per week, I think either program is probably equally good.

Recovery is highly overrated if the volume is reasonable. Protein synthesis is pretty much completed within 48 hours but nothing says that it has to be completed before exercising again. Case in point: Have you ever seen a carpenter with a small wrist or a hod carrier with skinny legs?

Studies with some animals and birds have indicated that a constant load inspires the most hypertrophy. I think frequency is our friend, not our enemy.

Kinggrub, I'm intrigued as to why a w/o with only 6 exercises needs to be split to keep it short? Perhaps you only have 30 mins to spare am and pm?
rock.gif

If working out 5-6 times a week is possible then I would go with option 'B' - just one workset per exercise if working out twice a day and with one or two work sets per exercise if working out once a day.

If working out three times a week I would still go with option 'B'. However, it will likely take longer to complete two option 'B' w/os than two option 'A' w/os just because you have to change exercises more often and still warm up properly before any worksets. If that was a problem I would go with option 'A'.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think frequency is our friend, not our enemy.</div>
Wise words...

i would go with B but as you are going to train twice a day why not alternate exercises
am bench
pm dips
etc
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Back