AM/PM while dieting

Philo

Hi!
I´m on my preparation diet this time for a german natural bodybuilding show. I just want to know, what you think about doing a AM/PM-Split for a cycle while cutting. I think, it could be a good idea because it should boosting my metabolism like hell, isn´t it? So it could be great for fat loss and maintaining lean mass.
I want to do 2 full-body workouts every other day. Heavy compound movements AM and isolation exercises PM.

AM:
Squat
SLDL
Bench
HighRow (Hammer Strength)
Military Press

2-3 sets per exercise

PM:
Leg extensions
Leg curls
Lat Pull Down (Hammer Strength)
Flys
tri (cable)
bi (cable)
calves

2 sets per exercise

What do you think about it? I want to start this cycle next week for 6 weeks while on a moderate carb, high protein diet.

That should keep your metabolism up, but I personally could not do your routine while cutting. I think the AM part of your workout would be sufficient to gain/ maintain strength. If you do the PM part, I would suggest that you keep the weight a bit lighter than when you are bulking. Since you are using the same muscles in the AM and PM part, I could see you getting too fatigued in the morning and then not being able to do very much weight in the PM.

Okay, thanks.
Do you think it would be a good idea to focus in AM workouts on mechanical load, maybe clustering to 30 total reps and on metabolic stress in the PM workout, like doing iso exercises with lighter weight, short rest periods an higher reps?

That sounds like a good plan to me. I normally only get to 20 reps per exercise when I cut (on average). Then again, my diet is far from perfect. I get plenty of protein, but I don't really concern myself with being healthy. I don't eat any vegetables, either. If your diet is pretty good, I think you could get to 30 reps and maintain all your strength. I think the high rep/ short rest stuff in the PM is a good idea. That's what I would do. Hopefully someone else will chime in and give you a second opinion.

One other thing, my experience is based on losing 1 pound per week. I lose 1 pound per week until I get down to about 10%, and then between .5-1 lb per week. Hope that helps to give you some perspective.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!

The first workouts were very good and I´m feeling VERY hungry, but great. After 3 sessions I think, it´s a huge metabolic boosting workout - great for cutting for my contest.

My diet looks like this:
275g protein
150g carbs
75g fat

After 3 low carb days, one high carb day:
275g protein
300g carbs
60g fat

Great! I hope you do well in the contest. You know, the HST poster child, Boris Kleine, is a German bodybuilder. In a few years, you could replace him!

If you're not already, I'd take some ephedrine and caffeine to get rid of that hunger.

Yes, I know Boris. But his BB-time is over. He was long time in prison in Poland. Today, he doesn´t look like that huge machine as he did some years ago. But already great!!!

My contest is 8 weeks out now and I hope I can place in final. This year I will start in a heavier weight class than last year, so I do not think to defeat my title.

Ephedrin isn´t possible for me, because I get tested. But it´s no problem. My motivation is good enough to forget the hunger:p

Back