amount of sets per exercise

person

i've been serious about lifting for 7 months and like most people I started off with all anyone really ever talked about (3 exercises of 3 sets each using 6 reps for each body part). the more i've read the move i've changed my workouts from one to another, and have experienced body changing results. since it's sunday, and i've got all the time in the world, i'll tell you my story, it goes as follows:

i started lifting seriously sometime in october of 2004, i unfortunantly did not weigh myself but i weighed no more than 150 pounds, probably a little less. i now weigh 165 and have for the last month, meaning i've plateaued. boo this. regardless, i'm here to try bryan haydock's training style as described on this page. and after reading through the article several times to fully grasp the concept, i have a few questions, they are as follows: keep the answer simple this time around for that is all i will be able to comprehend

1) during the 15 rep weeks, i'd basically just be doing one set of 15 for whatever exercise i was doing for each bodypart, correct?

2) during the 10 rep weeks, should i be doing 1 set or 2 sets, is one advised over the other or is this descision merely a judgement call on my part?

3) during the 5 reps weeks, should i be doing 1 set, 2 sets or even 3 sets, is one advised over the other or is this descision merely a judgement call on my part?

also...
because of the nature of the theory of HST, "targeting" lagging body parts to catch up does not seem to be covered anywhere in any simplicity. i'd like to hear individual's thoughts on the matter, personally because my chest has always been lagging, and my senses lead me in the direction of simply adding one additional chest exercise set at whatever repitition stage i might be at? follow?

To keep it simple, go with the basic this time around.
2 set 15's
2 sets 10's for week 1 then 1 set for week 2
2 or 3 sets 5's for week 1 then 1 or 2 sets for week 2
If extending the 5RM, do the same as in week 2 of the 5's
See how it goes and add or substract or do the same next go around, I doubt you'll have to subtract.
For further information. Read the FAQ on "How Many Sets and How to Determine it".

The simplest way to bring up lagging parts is to increase the volume for that part. By either more sets or more exercises that cover that part or more frequency for that individual part.

Back