Amount of Sets/Reps

The Long Run

It was my understanding that the key to the success of HST was consistantly loading not only weight (and thus going down in reps) but increasing sets to make up for the lost volume.

So if a person can do 2 sets of 15s and then 3 sets of 10s easily, wouldn't it mean less progressive load to train in the 5s using 4 or even 5 sets?

One can factor in the fact that simply more weight@lower reps = more hypertrophy to justify going down in the sets in 5s, but something still doesn't settle in my mind about that?

Can someone explain what I'm missing?

Actually progesive load is more important than set/rep volume. FYI... I dont even believe in 'sets'. I think I will post my thoughts. Anyhow 1 set each of 15/10/5 is fine in the concept of HST

I've been doing a lot more reading and it seems that when you get into the 5s its the extra load on the muscles that counts more and it becomes less about having "more volume" than it does keeping a "decent" volume and increasing load.

I wasn't weighing in the fact that we train the same muscle in HST so much more frequently than other programs which makes a huge difference in things.

As ryolacap mentioned HST is about the progression in load. The rep range is more of a way of letting you control the weight. You start with lower weights where 15 reps are feasible, then as they increase you have to drop to 10 rep sets, then 5 and eventually triples or negatives since the load is so high. The number of sets is such that the volume is enough to instill a hypertrophic environment. This is very relative to the person's experience and conditioning. Some people might need higher volume where other people will need much less.
The heavier the load the less volume you usually need to create this hypertrophic environment and thus it is reasonable to reduce volume when you approach the heavier weights.

Don't bother with sets, I cluster with 30 reps, 20 reps, 10 reps and then 5 reps, it worked for me. I can't do negatives without training partner.

<div>
(electric @ Oct. 13 2008,11:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The heavier the load the less volume you usually need to create this hypertrophic environment and thus it is reasonable to reduce volume when you approach the heavier weights.</div>
Exactly what I've gathered now. Its not JUST about volume, load, and progression - its about all of it but a good balance must be maintained by the individual to accomadate it all successfully and consistantly.

Back