An interesting theory from a newbie regarding RMs.

john1973

Hi guys!

<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p< O:p< p>I’m new to the world of HST and looking forward to my first week of training. I’ve established my RMs and have 4 days of SD left before I start. I do have one question though, the answer to which could change the way I do HST (like people say, it’s there to be tweaked!)
<O:p></O:p>

<O:p< O:p< p>To calculate my 15, 10 & 5 RMs I used the weights & reps from my last regular bout of training. I fed these into several different online RM calculators and the results were pretty accurate! I only had to add 1/2kg to my bench but the rest were dead on!!
<O:p< font O:p<>

<O:p< O:p< p>I think it’s safe to assume, therefore, that the calculators are reliable for my purposes. Based on this assumption, I have a theory about RMs (one which may have been covered so please forgive me if it has).

<O:p< O:p< p>My current bench press is 15 x 20kg, 10 x 24kg and 5 x 29kg (calculated and tested). In line with HST principles, these are the max RMs I would work towards during the respective cycles. So, in my case, when I’d reached 15 x 20 on the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> Saturday (I do a Tu Th Sa cycle) I’d then move on to start my 10RMs on the following Tuesday, working towards 24kg, and so on etc etc...

<O:p< O:p< p>Logically, when I came to lift the 20kg, the increased hypertrophy from the previous 5 workouts should facilitate one or more extra reps for that weight (after all, isn’t this how progressive loading works?) So then, suppose on that Saturday I lifted 20kg to failure and that I managed, for arguments sake, 16 reps (or more).

<O:p< O:p< p>Using the calculators, this gives me a new a whole new set of RMs: 15 x 21, 10 x 25.5 and 5 x 30.5, effectively make the old RMs redundant. (Not huge gains I agree, but then I’m not lifting huge weights - not yet anyway!) Based on my assumption above I have no reason to believe that this would be incorrect, and why should it be – after all I’d have just spent the last two weeks lifting weights, why wouldn’t my RMs increase?!

<O:p< O:p< p>So, based on this, is there any reason why I should not start my 10RM cycle working towards the new weight of 25.5kg and not the original calculated 24kg? In other words, rather than approaching it in a linear fashion, I’d be calculating new RMs between each and every cycle therefore compounding the effect of hypertrophy to get bigger RMs?

<O:p< font O:p<><O:p< O:p< p>If any of you who are more knowledgeable disagree or can spot any gaping holes in my theory then please feel free to correct me!

<O:p< O:p< p>Cheers!

<O:p< O:p< p>Johnny.<O:p< font O:p<>
</O:p<>
</O:p<></O:p<>

For an experienced lifter the difference in load is not going to be enough to make any difference in your gains. That being said, if you are just starting lifting and are not very strong yet you will find that your strength should increase pretty quickly over the first few months. In that case it could be beneficial to adjust your weights accordingly.

Last edited:
Cheers Bulldog.

That's what I figured but it's nice to have somebody back up your theory! It certainly seems the logical way to go but if things don't work out quite the way I expected at least the method is nice and easy to tweak, especially now I transcribed the HST calculator into Excel :O)

Thanks again!

Johnny.

Also re-calulcating, especially after the first cycle, should help iron out any errors made in the original calcs, so gotta be beneficial...?

Back