Announcement for those looking for advice

Jonny

When looking for advice most people here just post a question, and then accept whatever answer the first person posts.

Some of the advice given within this forum is correct, however some is just based upon the persons own opinion and experience. People tend to see the high post count and think that it relates to knowledge, when really it just means a lot of spare time.

If you have a question or are looking for advice, ask as many people as you can and do your own research.

Well said, Jonny!

Most of the required Knowledge is already posted here and is not lying is someone's brain, however opinions do abound and are not always in line with current HST phylosophy.

Newbies should do as much reading as possible before posting questions that are asked thousands of times as those issues are often very clearly sorted out in the literature!

i agree you shouldnt just take advise without trying to find out if its fact or not.
there are 2 ways to do that 1 is through scientific literiture.
the other is trying it yourself and seing if it works for you
biggrin.gif

dont agree with this part
(quote)
People tend to see the high post count and think that it relates to knowledge, when really it just means a lot of spare time.

i dont think fausto has a lot of spare time, the reason he has so many posts is because he has been posting since 2002 so i think he would have a lot of knowledge about HST which is what most questions are about.
btw just using fausto as an eg
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

What makes you think people automatically take the word of the first person to reply? I dont see why anyone would do that.
In terms of HST it makes sense that in general the people with the most spare time to read up on it....who have been here the longest & who have replied in enough threads to have picked things up along the way would be alright to listen to...just as would most of the people here. The only time i see people responding with opinion/experience is when the question asked is looking for one of those things, if someone suggested an idea which lay outside the HST principles theyd soon be corrected or asked about it so i dont see the problem...the faq is constantly reffered to.

Good pointers, JohnnyH

So...Jonny...although you are right about certain points, we certainly feel confortable to eliminate no-HST related bugs and to lead newbies to the right places when needed!
cool.gif

personally i dont typically even read or respond to the posts that are  "newbie, plz critique w/o"  or anything like that.

i have nothing against those posters and was in a similar "lack of knowledge" boat just a few years ago but the info is right there on the home page and rehashed 20x over in a bunch of similar postings. i "trolled" if you will for over 2 yrs before signing up and asking/offering advice. most (notice i said most) problems, questions or typical/recommended w/os that would occur in the 1st 1-3 cycles are currently posted on this forum (in most cases many times over) along with explainations. i just feel if most read thru this info 1st they wouldnt need to ask "how do i find my 15rep max" or "should i deadl and squat on the same day".

i feel the same is true to a large extent in the diet thread at least as far as BASIC bulking and cutting strategies are concerned.

honestly, i believe a new lifter (or new to hst) could dedicate a few hours reading what has been posted to date (forget about new posts or questions) take good notes and be set. they would know the basic 6-8 exer. most recomm, how to progress wgt., pick a w/o freq. that worked for their sched. , what cal level to eat at (and meal sugg) to achieve their goals as well as what type of progress to expect.

what more could you want, its all here and its all free. well mostly free, just like any w/o you have to put in the time and effort to really get anything out of it.

also (to make a long post longer) im not so concerned about the # of posts as i am about the wide disparity of goals between posters. providing current info and goals are the best way to get good, applicable advice. i think we'd all be surprised by some peoples idea of "big", "strong", "cut" etc. not to mention squat depth.

<div>
(bluejacket @ Sep. 21 2006,16:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">and rehashed 20x over in a bunch of similar postings.</div>
Which is why I posted this thread in the stickies

Read before posting

Yeah I agree I don't think people just accept advice from the first person that posts, if they disagree with something they'll argue or ask more questions, and generally take the advice of what most people say (and all the experienced guys tend to give the same advice), pretty much everyone here states when what they are saying is only their opinion, and if its fact based on faulty research that seems reputable then its hardly that person's fault. I see what you're saying though we should all be careful not to take dodgy advice and offering opinion as fact.

Back