Another HST routine

LattisimusDorsi

18 years old, 5'11", 200lbs. Just came off a strength program (5x5) and my immediate goals are now hypertrophy based... how on earth did I end up on the HST site?
cool.gif

ROUTINE:
Week 1-2: 15 reps x 1 set
Week 3-4: 10 reps x 2 sets
Week 5-6: 5 reps x 3 sets

EXERCISES (10):
Squat & Stiff-legged deadlift
Incline DB press & Flat BB press
Nautilus Pullover & BB rows
Seated military press
Barbell curls
CGBP
Calf raise

I've tested my 15's and 10's so far and basically I'm a little worn out before I do all exercises, maybe I'll get used to it but maybe there are too many exercises/not enough compound either.

Lats....

I am just going to make a slight correction as to what i think would be best, you go ahead and do what you think is best!

A better hypertrophic mix:

EXERCISES (10):
Squat & Stiff-legged deadlift (I would go full deads)
Incline DB press & Dips (weighted from at least the 5's)
Nautilus Pullover & BB rows (include chins, drop one of the two)
Seated military press (do it standing till the 5's at least)
Barbell curls (Ok , but not really necessary - start after the 5's)
CGBP (ok or else skullcrushers, dips already taking care of triceps)
Calf raise

Ok this is my opinion!

<div>
(Fausto @ Aug. 03 2006,04:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Lats....

I am just going to make a slight correction as to what i think would be best, you go ahead and do what you think is best!

A better hypertrophic mix:

EXERCISES (10):
Squat &amp; Stiff-legged deadlift (I would go full deads)
Incline DB press &amp; Dips (weighted from at least the 5's)
Nautilus Pullover &amp; BB rows (include chins, drop one of the two)
Seated military press (do it standing till the 5's at least)
Barbell curls (Ok , but not really necessary - start after the 5's)
CGBP (ok or else skullcrushers, dips already taking care of triceps)
Calf raise

Ok this is my opinion!</div>
So fast and helpful!

So no squats and only deadlifts? That's fine with me.

Free weight dips hurt my sternum like no other exercise, my gym has the machine dips... is that acceptable? I can do about 10 at 80% bodyweight.

Also, I can only do 4 or 5 chin-ups... should I do BB curls till I get to the 5's?

Conventional deadlifts
Incline DB press
Machine dips
BB rows / Chin-ups
Military press
Skullcrushers
Calf raise

How are we looking now.

Sorry, did not mean to cut out squats, definitely not, do both alternate, do deads once per week, ie: Wednesdays and squats mondays and Fridays.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Free weight dips hurt my sternum like no other exercise, my gym has the machine dips... is that acceptable? I can do about 10 at 80% bodyweight.</div>

Hope this clears up matters for now!

That is acceptable, just try free weight from 5's if you can.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Also, I can only do 4 or 5 chin-ups... should I do BB curls till I get to the 5's?</div>

Do chins from 5's then unless there is an assit machine in your gym, alternative, build up strength with alt pull downs reverse grip as heavy as you can bear.

I don't really dislike BB or DB pullovers, but for now lets us stream
line things to get you off the ground.

I like that routine, with Fausto's tweaks. Perhaps because it's almost like mine!! Eat a lot while your doing it, and you will make great gains!

In my last cycle, I did not do the arm work during my workout, but on the next day, and usually just twice per week. I had more strength to put into it that way.

Oh, when I started HST, I could only do 2 or 3 pull ups. Now, I can nearly get 10, and I can do 5 at body weight + 15 lbs. (And I'm nearly 10 lbs heavier now, so that's a good strength gain).

For me, I did them through the whole cycle, but in the 15s, I used my legs on a ladder for assistance (actually pushing with the legs), and for the 10s, I rested a leg on the ladder to take some of my body weight out of the lift (all pulling with the arms, no leg assist).

Just worked out my 15, 10, 5RM and put them in the calculator and it doesn't look right... I'm repeating weights for 2-3 weeks after each block. Should I change the increments around a little bit or what?

hstpl4.gif

Liege, to me after a certain poundage it starts getting to my lower back! So when I go heavier I sit and do them sitting, I try to do them military press style, I suppose if you do push press then you can still do them standing!

Latissimus....your workout sample looks fine to me.

your setup looks good to go
cool.gif

dont worry that your first day on your 10s is lighter than your last day on your 15s.
your last 15s day should be to faliure (or near) so the next couple of days will allow you to recover but still workout
biggrin.gif

That looks good for this cycle. Once your deads and squats go over 300lbs I think you would be best doing squats Mon and Fri and deads on Wednesday only. The 5s can really take their toll on your lower back once the loads go up. See how you get on this cycle especially during the 5s and post-5s.

Looking at your chart, the incline db press figures for 5s seem low when compared with the 10s. A 5lb increase takes you from your 10RM to your 5RM. Is that correct?

<div>
(Lol @ Aug. 18 2006,22:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That looks good for this cycle. Once your deads and squats go over 300lbs I think you would be best doing squats Mon and Fri and deads on Wednesday only. The 5s can really take their toll on your lower back once the loads go up. See how you get on this cycle especially during the 5s and post-5s.

Looking at your chart, the incline db press figures for 5s seem low when compared with the 10s. A 5lb increase takes you from your 10RM to your 5RM. Is that correct?</div>
Yeah 10RM is 50's and 5RM is 55's. I expected more for my 5RM too.

Back