Any advice on keeping arthritis at bay?

shiphen

Hi

I am in my late 40s and sometime I get a little arthritis that flairs up form time time.
(e.g. in my knees and odd joints in my hands).

- Any recommendations on how best to tackle it?

(e.g. Very inconvenientlly, milk-based proteins seem to make things worse...)

John

One, keep moving. The one thing I've learned about arthritus from people who have had it and myself is this: those who keep moving have the same pain but much better mobility. Those who allow it to rule their lives freeze up and have the pain and the inability to overcome it and maintain a decent range of motion. So for one, tough it out. Two, I've found cissus works great for me in terms of pain relief. My knees are to the point where I can tell the weather with them, cissus seems to work as an analgesic. It's supposedly good for connective tissue and bone too, I have no idea if this is a claim that is supported by actual science. I know I tried it and whatever pain I had went way down, which was nice, so I've been taking it for a couple years now. About a gram a day before I go o bed. Celadrin is another supplement I tried but I ran out and it seems to have not been necessary, as I haven't replaced it and I'm still doing goo despite some pretty severe swings in the weather lately.

Taking a good amount of fish oil for EFAs each day can't hurt. Are you doing this? Cut out as much processed sugary c**p from your diet as possible and eat plenty of fresh fruit and veggies. Once you have a problem like this there may not be much you can do to make it fully better but you can try to decrease the rate of further degeneration and possibly halt it altogether.

Try a fair amount of high-rep work. Warm up thoroughly before any heavy work. If heavy work makes things worse then instead of a regular HST cycle I'd switch to something along the lines of Blade's Myoreps—you'll use lighter loads for more of the time but will use fatigue to help drive high/full fibre activation for an effective PS response.

Last edited:
I seem to have similar tendencies myself. Was adviced by a very skilled Naturopath about things to avoid in the diet:
White wheat, gluten will clog you up and wheat will worsen any inflammatory conditions
All dairy products
White sugar

Alpa omega 3 oils as present in fish oil although I prefer the vegetarian flax seed meal myself is helpful

Trying to avoid the wheat and dairy as much as possible has seemed to help me a lot, especially in the cold winter time when symptoms normally worsen

An effective ayurvedic herb that might help is ashwaganda
Keep on researching and you will find

I've had a lot of luck with glucosamine and chondroitin supplements. The Osteo Bi-Flex seems to be the most effective on the market. My beloved physician told me to get it -- and to double the dosage!

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: memberaction_dropdown -->CDB - What exactly is this "cissus"? Why do you take it and is there any hard evidence in support of it?

Like TunnelRat I do seem to have had moderate luck with glucosamine and chondroitin - although my condition is thus far still pretty mild and variable... so it may just be a placebo affect! Nonetheless I do definitely now get strange pains in certain joints often somewhere in the hands for absolutely no reason and I am 99% sure it it arthritis alright...

Hello,
sincere apologizes for not replying and although it's been almost one year I will have a go anyway.

Personally I have only had benefit from ashwaganda that apart from helping joints is an adaptogen and boosts testosterone as well. Here's one link to it's use for arthrithis http://arthritisinsight.com/archives/test2090.htm High quality organic herb can be bough with free shipping if you buy for over 50 US$ here http://ayushkar.com/organicherbs.html I will not get any commission

I have also started using the herb cissus since the end of april and I have almost not had any symptoms in my knees since then although I normally don't have many symptoms during the warm summer. Cissus can be found cheaply here.
http://www.smartpowders.com/p-5270-cissus-500-grams.aspx I do not get any commission...

I have used some whey protein because it is cheap although I would totally discontinue it if I had serious symptoms. Maybe it is hard to find hard evidence on how bad milk is for joints but if you start googling you will find that quite a few people believe so. Here's one link
http://www.notmilk.com/forum/798.html

Meat and other unhealthy refined oils and fried foods should be avoided as well. Although healthy fats will be of great help. Especially the essential fatty acid alpha omega 3. An amazing source of fatty acids and perhaps the most perfect protein on the planet is hemp seeds and hemp seed protein!
No, not the kind that gets you stoned but its amazing healthy cousin! 33% protein in the seeds along with an amazing amino acid profile and a perfect ratio of alpha omega 3 - 6 and 9 fatty acids. You can eat the seeds straight or buy a 50% protein powder or use some oil for salad etc. Do not heat it too much though, it will destroy the value of its fatty acids. Hemp seeds and protein can be found at various shops including www.iherb.com where you can use MUS651 for 5$ off that will give me a bonus for your purchase as well. No matter where you buy it, hemp seeds is a true super food that I believe more and more people will start to open their eyes to.
http://www.ratical.org/renewables/hempseed1.html

Another thing that has helped my knees greetly as well is a knee supporter of the phiten brand. I am not sure about the science behind the aqua titanium in them but it is an awesome well made product that I have used throughout the cold months. Awesome fit, warming and supporting and long lasting. Apart from supporting keeping knees warm will help prevent any symptoms as well.

Stay well

I get Osteoarthritis in my hip and knee, I'm only 30 but had a dislocated hip when I was born, so this is the knock-on effect.

However, recently I saw a physio who focused upon strengthening the supporting muscles, to help the join align properly and use full range of motion. Since then I've had zero pain! Exercises focused on lunges/stretches/squates/etc but with absolute focus on form before weight.

Obviously the exercices depend upon body part, but I'd highly recommend doing anything which will build the surrounding muscles, to avoid your body becoming lazy and forcing your joints to use an 'easy' route which then leads to pain.

I also don't eat Dairy for my eczema but this may also help my joints (use Egg protein instead)

Hope this helps

Back