Anything wrong with this?

wwazza

I've been suffering from a herniated disc so have been limited to certain exercises for a while.

I've been doing Bench, weighted chins and dips.

Training every 48 hrs

First session 30 reps of each 3x10
Bench 60kg
Pullups BW
Dips BW+15kg

I increase the load by 2.5kg on each exercise every session to reach my 5RM's of
Bench 85kg
Pullups BW+25kg
Dips BW+40kg

I keep up with 3x10 for as many sessions as I can, then drop to 3x8 and cluster If I need to for a few sessions, then drop to 4x5 just has I'm hitting my 5RM's. I keep at 5RM until fatigue sets in and start again.
It basically works out about 10 sessions until I hit my maxes and another 6 or so at this level giving me a cycle time of about a month.

I'm still cutting so trying to maintain strength, Just started introducing walking dumbell lunges once every 4 or 5 days and some abductor work that doesn't stress my lower back. Also been doing a lot of core work like pilates.

Last edited:
My dad has a herniated disc, know what you are going thru, sorry to hear about it. There is hope though.

Suggestions:
1. drop the Pilates, useless; instead get a massage and/or hot tub with disc on the jet
2. add Leg Press. Of course use one that is comfortable on your back. Do NOT use a 45º leg sled, use a machine. Hammer is best if you can find it.
If you are working out at home consider a ball squat holding dumbbells.
3. stick with standard vanilla HST setup but just these exercises.
4. drop the lunges, dangerous for the back, one wobble can hurt you.

HTH, good luck with the cut.

I’m not sure if your situation is similar to mine but I suffered from constant lower back pain and sciatica for several years from a herniated disk until I started Deadlifting and then in a couple of months all the pain was gone. The disk is still herniated but strengthening my core keeps it stabilized and me pain free though I’m still wary of certain other exercises like Good Mornings and have only added them back in slowly but so far so good.

That sounds promising Grunt. I have never done proper deadlifts as I thought they were always a big no no for disc problems. I used to do SLDL's and never had the problems I have now. I will speak to my physio's and see if they agree. I would love to incorporate squats and deadlifts into my routine, even if they are at low weights. I'm in the process of building a home gym and a decent power cage is going to be the first purchase so the majority of my work needs to revolve around barbells.

Dean,

Regarding the pilates, some of the exercise I have found to be uncomfortable so have been advised by my physio to drop the bending and twisting movements. However some of the core work and stretches are stuff I will never do in my own time so may be beneficial to me while I'm on the road to recovery.

Physio has said no leg press, well especially the one at our works gym which does put pressure on the lower back. She was the one who advised walking lunges, but of course I added in the dumbells to make it a little more challenging. I will consider the ball squat as I do own a ball and will be purchasing dumbells in the near future. It's annoying that I have to resort to exercises that are difficult to progressively increase the load.

The upper body work I do still follows the principles of HST but I get to my 5RM's quicker than the normal vanilla routine, necessary I believe on a cut. I have increased volume to make up for the lack of other exercises I can't do, (MP, and Rows) however I think a chest supported row might be possible. I still do Iso work on biceps and triceps alternated every other work out.

The cuts going well. Doing IF 16/8 and just dropped below 13%bf although with Christmas coming up It's going to be hard to resist temptation!

Thanks for your input anyway!

That sounds promising Grunt. I have never done proper deadlifts as I thought they were always a big no no for disc problems. I used to do SLDL's and never had the problems I have now. I will speak to my physio's and see if they agree. I would love to incorporate squats and deadlifts into my routine, even if they are at low weights. I'm in the process of building a home gym and a decent power cage is going to be the first purchase so the majority of my work needs to revolve around barbells.
If your docs ok you to try them I recommend Sumo Deadlifts and High Bar Squats to start with as both of those versions keep your back as upright as possible putting less shear force on your disks.

I would also invest in a good powerlifting belt, the type that is 4” all-round which will work wonders in keeping your core tight while lifting heavy.

Also something I’m sure your docs will take into account is that you probably wouldn’t want to start such lifting if you have acute pain in the area of the disk since that likely indicates irritation and swelling are still present which exercises may just aggravate.

Most important is to take it slow so you’re core can get stronger. Also I will do Squats for reps but after adding any appreciable weight to the bar I only Deadlift for singles. Sometimes the pause is only long enough to reset to a proper starting position but because of the disk I never risk heavy Deadlifts for reps. I also make sure to do Deadlifts first followed by Squats before any other lifts so nothing is tired before starting.

Back