Assisted Chinups

Taank

Could you guys give me your opinions on something that just occured to me for assisted chinups.

I can only do my bodyweight maybe 7 times, so this cycle I did pulldowns with a supinated grip during the 15's and 10's. But I just thought of this, how about if I put on my dip belt, attach it to the cable system on my smith machine, and set it to 10-15 lbs and let this weight essentially help pull me up a bit. I just tested it out, and it seems to work like a charm.

Yeah, be creative, keep progress, and keep going!
biggrin.gif

I have done that with the dip belt. It works but is kinda a pain in the ass. Plus everyone looks at you the whole time because they dont understand what you are doing.

Now I just do the pulldowns with the chin grip like you.

Keep in mind that if you are supposed to do 2 sets of 10 and can only do 7 reps, just do 7 then 7 more and then 6. This way your body is still seeing 20 reps and should work fine as long as you dont rest too long between sets.

Yeah, and if that's you in the avatar, I think you're gonna be doing weighted pullups very soon bro! Since strength is the issue here, some things you could consider are Max Stim training, which works with HST, using both narrow and wide grip for more development, and/or doing partials in your sticking point.

Spyke

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Plus everyone looks at you the whole time because they dont understand what you are doing.</div>

Like one goes to gym and trains so that others can understand what you are doing?
rock.gif

So what if they don't.
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Now I just do the pulldowns with the chin grip like you.</div>

Bad decision, and a loss on your side!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Keep in mind that if you are supposed to do 2 sets of 10 and can only do 7 reps, just do 7 then 7 more and then 6. This way your body is still seeing 20 reps and should work fine as long as you dont rest too long between sets. </div>

Ahhh, at last some good advice, geeshh.....thought you'd lost it there for a second!
laugh.gif

Yeah thats me quadancer. Thanks for the compliment!

I'll mess around with using the cable system, and if it doesn't feel right than I will follow you guys' other suggestion and just make sure to hit the correct # of reps. I'll drop the chin grip pulldowns.

Ok another question, I'm already thinking about my second cycle. It seems what alot of people do is alternate bent-over rows with chins. How do you guys feel about doing chins every workout and not doing bent-over rows. Because the more I do them, the more I am loving chins. They make me feel strong and after yeterday my lats are sore as hell. I can already tell that I like a more simple routine also.

That would be fine, but I really think rows are a great exercise, so if you want to focus on chins for a cycle then that would be cool, but the cycle after I would add in rows again. Or you could do chins on Mon and Fri and only do rows on Weds. I would probably go with that option.

Your setup for the assisted chins sounds cool. That should work well. I think clustering to hit our reps for chins would work too, since the weight would remain effective for a long time. Definitely do negatives on the chins when you get to that point. That should help too.

Again Tot is hitting it right!

The thing is chins tends to get the lats higher up and to the sides, whereas the bent over rows and other rows add mass more to the centre of the back and one wants both!
cool.gif

just a quick question.... which chin ups do you guys consider the best, close grip or wide grip???.... at the moment i do close grip and bent over rows for my back, should i be doing wide instead???

11 is about my max with my own body weight.

I use the assited chin machine for the 15s, regular ol' chinups for the 10's, then the lat pull down bar for the 5's. That way I get some kind of progression.

<div>
(WEBBER @ Aug. 16 2006,19:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">just a quick question.... which chin ups do you guys consider the best, close grip or wide grip???.... at the moment i do close grip and bent over rows for my back, should i be doing wide instead???</div>
I do both.

1 set overhand wide grip chins + 1 set underhand close grip chins.

For bent over rows (if I'm using the cable), again I'll do 1 set close &amp; 1 wide.

Back