Baby Boomer’s HST Review (1st Cycle)

magicdad

HST seemed to fit my criteria very well, with the ironic exception that I’m not trying to get huge. The main reason I tried HST is that it professed to be gentler on your joints. But even those of us who simply want to maintain a strong, healthy physique will admit that a bit of extra size and definition wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing.

BACKGROUND: I’m a 45-year-old ectomorph and self-described hardgainer. ‘6,0”, 170 lbs. Lifting for almost 2 years, starting with a full body beginners routine, then 5x5, then push/pull split.

NUTRITION/SUPPLEMENTS: Fairly clean diet, 5 or 6 meals per day, non-fat milk, no soda, very few snacks. I’ll knock back a couple of Jack Daniel’s on a Saturday night, but no heavy drinking or smoking. I fall short of the 1g of protein per lb. guideline, but manage to get around 140 or so. Plenty of water throughout the day. Supplement with whey protein, multi-vitamin, flaxseed oil, and glucosamine/chondroitin.

OBJECTIVE: Like most, to add muscle and lose fat. Unlike most, I’m not looking for slabs of muscle, and fortunately I don’t have that much fat to lose. A little gut fat is about all. So, I suppose losing that and gaining some lean mass and definition is the goal.

ISSUES: Impinged right rotator cuff from years of throwing baseballs to my son, who’s now a college athlete. Surgery to my left knee last summer from a biking accident (bicycle, not motorcycle – pretty embarrassing).

EQUIPMENT: Dumbbell set 5 to 50 lbs., EZ curl bar with 170 lbs. of plates, chin up bar, multi-station home gym, recumbent bike.

ROUTINE: Due to the above considerations, I do not lift what most would consider heavy weights. For example, I maxed out at 50 lb. dumbbells on incline bench in the 3x5s. For me, that was plenty. It felt like I got a proper workout without tearing up my shoulder. If and when I can safely lift more weight, I’ll go heavier.

I believe in doing the so-called vanilla routine when trying anything new, in order to give the program a fair chance to work. So, I lifted on Monday/Wednesday/Friday, 45 minutes per session. I started out with 2 sets of everything, but decided to do 3 sets of 5s, since I could. I did the following exercises in this order:

Aerobic warm up with 7 or 8 minutes on recumbent bike. Full body stretch. One warm up set in all compound lifts.

Incline Dumbbell Bench
Seated Cable Rows
Pullups
Dumbbell Squat or Deadlifts (alternating)
Military Press
Dumbbell Shrugs
Dumbbell Curls
Barbell Triceps Extensions
Standing Calf Raise
Abs (Cable Crunch & Leg Lifts)

RESULTS: Small but noticeable size gains, which is all I was hoping for after 1 cycle. These are my only visible gains since the obligatory newbie gains. I had been stagnant on 5x5 and a push/pull split for nearly a year. And my strength did go up slightly – I found myself hoisting a bit more weight than my predetermined maxes, and the last 2 weeks of 5s did indeed make it easier to lift weight that was at first difficult to lift.

RECOVERY: Better than ever. My sore right shoulder definitely feels better than it has in years. No pain during or after lifts. Left knee is coming along too, so for now I’ll continue babying it with lighter weights during squats and deads.

CONCLUSION: First HST cycle was a big thumbs up. I figure if a thin, middle-aged guy lifting relatively light weights can show strength and size gains on this program, anyone can. I wish I’d started this 20 years ago. Better late than never, I guess.

NEXT: I’ll do 9 days of SD, then go into my second HST cycle. I’m planning on hitting the same body parts with different exercises, i.e. DB Shoulder Press instead of Military Press, Chins (palms in) instead of Pullups (palms out), EZ Bar Curls instead of DB Curls, etc. Depending on results, I may then alternate these with the 1st cycle exercises in A/B fashion for the third cycle.

QUESTIONS: Should I alternate Decline Press with Incline? Any problem with using the low pulley on the home gym for Deadlifts and shrugs? I’ll probably do two sets of 15s, two 10s, and three 5s in my next cycle. If there’s some reason why I should go with the popular 1/2/3 set scheme, please comment.

Thanks.

Great report magicdad. I'm not far off your age and I've made some serious gains this past year. Too right about wishing for this info 20 years ago. So does everyone else who remembers training back then!
biggrin.gif

If your knee can take it you should get into proper bb squatting and deadlifting.

If you have fairly low body fat right now and want to add a bit more size then it might well be best to up your calories a bit next cycle. Keep an eye on the scales and instead of aiming for a pound a week try for 4lbs a cycle and keep pushing up those poundages if you feel confident in doing so. Just because we're older now is now excuse for not going for some PBs.
smile.gif
Once you've upped your muscle mass a bit you can do a cycle where you burn off some of the fat you will inevitably gain while slow bulking.

Reason for the 1/2/3 sets scheme is just to keep volume roughly constant while loads progress. That way your work done is increasing throughout the cycle.

You could do:

15s: 1x15
10s: 1x10, 1x5
5s: 3x5

to keep rep count constant over the whole cycle. If you fancied it, you could try 20 reps for each mesocycle and do something like this:

15s: 1x15, 1x5
10s: 2x10
5s: 4x5

Thanks, Lol.

I'm not one of those who shuns squatting and deadlifting, in fact I quite like those exercises. Unfortunately, I have the restrictions I mentioned so I'm working my way back with dumbbells, then will switch to "proper" squats and deads when I can safely do so.

My bodyfat was measured about a year ago at 13%. I suspect it's a little lower now. As I also mentioned, I'm not aiming for any serious size gains, but wouldn't turn down a bit more size and definition if possible. I'm mostly pleased with the way my joints feel - not a bit of discomfort for the first time in two years!

Thanks again for the advice.

Welcome magicdad!
cool.gif

The reason why your gains were not bigger evene though it was only one cycle is possibly because youy were doing a bit more exercises than I'd recommend in one workout that is, but that is my opinion, after all I started the Simplify and Win thread!

It is great though that you have put on some noticeable gains.

About you rinjuries (well at least the rotator cuff) there are some great threads here with some good threapeutic exercises that might just get you up and running. Check them out,just search for "rotator cuff " you should find some good stuff.

Thanks Fausto,

About the rotator cuff, I have been doing some very good exercises that seem to be helping, but I'll still take your advice and check out the ones on this site. I can also tell you that following a progression from lower to higher weight seems to be helping enormously. Just one cycle, but so far I'm a believer in the theory that it helps condition your joints for the heavier loads.

As for the number of exercises, I was also wondering about that. I'm now in my SD week, but when I start the 2nd cycle next Monday, I'm considering dropping the bicep and triceps isos. I'm thinking that the rows and pullups cover the biceps, and I hammer grip my dumbbells for bench press and shoulder press, which of course brings the triceps more into play. I'm also not convinced that I need to shrug, but am planing on keeping that in for the time being. Any opinion?

Thanks again.

Agreeing with you there!

Traps you can hit with deadlifts,biceps with chin ups (reverse grip) triceps (best with dips but bench, and a few others hit them too).

If you do things right less is actually more. I'm not saying drop the isos altogether, but just don't pay too much attention to them, rather use them as metabolic stress inducers ( I do them when I feel like hitting the area a bit more than normal).

You got the general idea, so...go for it mate!
wink.gif

Back