baby weights?

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_dont blink
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_dont blink

I've been working out for sometime and have made decent gains with the "push yourself till failure" method but I thought I'd try HST in light of all these scientific findings. Since I'm not a noob I dont really want the 'vanilla HST' program but maybe one a little more accelerated/intense?

I was wondering if the baby weights used the first week are completely necessary? I did my first day yesterday, finished in about 20 minutes, and felt completely unsatisfied. Could I drop the whole first week schedule all together? Any other ideas to tweak this program for more intensity?

This topic gets covered pretty much every couple days. I'd suggest doing a bit of reading around.

Feeling means nothing. What matters is adding weight to the bar over time. If you are doing your maxes properly and incrementing properly, you likely won't be using 'baby weights' when you start out. You should begin with about 70% of your 15 rep max. Unless you are using all isolation movements, then that shouldn't give you baby weights. For me, even during the 15s I find my weights for rows, bench, squats and deads to be pretty heavy.

Tot's right. And if you want to do more reps during the first week or so of 15s just do that. Bang out 25 if you feel the need, just don't go to failure or you will compromise your progress on subsequent heavier w/os. 15s are for preping your joints etc. for heavier loads so a good burn is what you want.

Some of the guys here are starting 15s with around 400lbs for deads. Now that ain't no baby weight!
smile.gif

Back