choco

Hello,
can you guys please correct me what exercise is for
lat width and which is for depth !?

I would say this:

Deadlift = depth
chinups wide or tight grip = width
rows = depth

...maybe you can add more exercises and critique me.

Greets
choco
ghostface.gif

JW! I haven't seen you around the boards in a while, but it's good to see you're posting again. Ignore that comment if you have posted here and there, and I just missed them.

Any who, he's right on with his assessment of where those exercises hit your back
cool.gif

do you guys do chin up with just a bar or have a chin assist? if i do just the bar, i tend to sway, on the assist, i have my legs stabled. would it hinder my results between the two?

<div>
(quadancer @ Jul. 09 2007,19:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">25-100 lbs. hanging from the belt tends to keep you pulling straight.</div>
LOL

Lets use anatomy to get this cleared up once and for all. There are three primary muscle groups of the back....1)latissimus dorsi. The muscles of the outer back, attach near the armpit and look like wide 'wings' when fully developed. 2)trapezius. The muscles of the upper back look like an irregular diamond-shape and when fully developed look like thick pythons forming on the upper back and wrapping around the neck. The rhomboids are underneath the trapezius and assist in scapular retraction 3)erector spinae. Commonly reffered to as the 'lower back' these muscls actually run the entire lenght of the spine but are largest and most visible at the lower back area. The other muscle on the back are near the shoulders and are fairly small. (teres, infraspinitus, etc.)

176df300.jpg

To fully develop the back we need only a few exercises. Barbell rows work all the muscles in the back to some extent. As do deadlifts although since the upper arm moves very little, the lats will need additional work.

I work all the muscles of my back with only a few exercises. Deadlifts hit the erector spinae and upper trapezius. Chin-ups hit the lats, teres and lower trapezius. To hit the shoulders and rotator cuff, I do upright rows. I could throw rows in as well, but I feel I get enough from the deads and chins.

Deads have always hit my lats pretty well and if I could do only one exercise for back this would be it.

Because the loads can go so high the back can be hit pretty hard all over from deadlifting. Chins work the lats through a much larger range of motion but with a reduced load compared to deads. Rows are a great way to work your whole back and your posterior delts.

<div>
(javacody @ Jul. 09 2007,22:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">scientific muscle, that is cool. Where can I find more FREE info like this?</div>
The Internet.

Just joking. Seriously though, exrx.net has a lot of good info on it, a lot of anatomy too.

Realistically, I think you can build a respectable back with just bentover rows and deadlifts. Be sure to do the bentover rows properly or you won't activate the lats adequately. I chin too, but not very frequently. The bulk of my back training is deads and rows (though lately it includes rack pulls too, basically is the same as a dead with regards to the back) and has been for a couple years now. I concentrate on putting up bigger and bigger numbers in rows and deads. So far, my back is probably my best feature, so... it works for me.
I think chins would be a good idea too, to be sure you hit the lats well. So if you do deads, bentover rows and weighted chins, I don't see why you would ever need anything else for back development.

Back