Back to Basics

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_hannesburk
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_hannesburk

Hey Guys

As all of you aroung here I love HST. But the more cycles I did the more they got complicated and the less productive

So I am going to give a standart one-way-routine another shot and am planing to do this optimal right from the beginning.

so please check my routine

Squats alternating with
Deadlifts
Decline Bench
Pull-Down
Military Press
Narrow Rowing
Incline Curls
Overhead-Extensions
Crunches

2 sets during 15s and during 10s maybe 3 sets during 5s

sounds good,looks good?

what would you do if you hated the rests between sets of the same excercise as I do?
performing all excercises without breaks and then doing a second circle or alternating just two of them?other ideas?

would you go in 3-4% weight-progressing-steps every workout or in 5-7% steps with repeating load in 2 following sessions from time to time?

thx for all advices

greetings
Hannes

Man your program and plan is pretty much identical to mine! Guess that means it looks good
tounge.gif

I used to circuit cause I hated rests, when I did 3-4 sets per ex, but with just 2 sets I don't mind it, I do a set (1st is always easy), then rest or get a drink, then hit it again, with a slightly longer rest between exes to be "fresh" for my next ex. But circuit if you must...two exes in a row then 2nd set works well.

So true about keeping it simple...major compound ex and eating, that's what its all about...oh and progressive load...5-10lb up each time (ie. the minimum amount of increase) so you don't get too far from your RM at the start. Does that make sense? No...didn't think so...

Hannes: It looks very good but I would make a few changes.
smile.gif
I think you should scrap declines and do inclines alternated with weighted dips. I also think there's little point in arm isos until you can deadlift and squat with 2 x bodyweight or above. Do chins instead of pull-downs when you are able too.

As far as incrementing goes: just stick with around 10lbs for your big lifts and 5lbs for the rest. Take into account that if you use dumbells for your curls you will need to add only 2.5lbs per db per w/o. This is usually not possible in most gyms, so either get some wrist weights or stick with the same dbs for the next w/o before incrementing.

thx for replies

how do you manage to do pull-ups in hst-style?when working with bodyweight I can do about 20 reps in proper form,that would mean I have to start with weighted-pull-ups right from the beginning and adding every workout more weight to the belt?!

why not decline-bench? I just read a post from vicious (jules) who said that decline press is quite a good excercise for peck-development,much better than incline or flat bench..
I agree with the dips but my shoulder hurts to much with it.

the arm-isos I just integrate in the later 10's and the go beyond my 1RM. this helped me alot with arm-development..these are isos but nice stretchpointisos and in my opinion they got quite nice a potential.

thx again

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">how do you manage to do pull-ups in hst-style?when working with bodyweight I can do about 20 reps in proper form,that would mean I have to start with weighted-pull-ups right from the beginning and adding every workout more weight to the belt?!</div>
As usual, just find the load to use for your 15RM and then drop back from that by 5lbs a session to get your starting weight. I suspect that you will be using just your body weight for a workout or two. No matter. Just do as many reps as poss with good form whilst avoiding failure.

If you can't do dips then decline bench is good, it's just that dips and inclines are a really good combo to cover your chest well. (Inclines are done using only a slight 10-20º angle on the bench).

Back