be carefull doing back in the mornings

faz

Today's training tip comes from Stuart McGill:

Not a Good Morning

Full spine bending first thing in the morning is a great way to damage your back. You're taller when you wake up in the morning than when you go to bed at night. This is because the discs suck up water while you sleep. After rising, just walking around and using the muscles during the day compress your spine and the fluid is squeezed out, decreasing the anular tensions in the disc. So, when you wake up the extra height in the discs are analogous to a water balloon ready to burst. If you bend, you build up much higher stresses in the disc. In fact, the stresses are three times higher than when you perform the same bend two or three hours later. So, heavy bending exercises, good mornings or sit-ups for example, performed first thing in the morning is not a good idea.

Thanks for sharing a great tip Faz!
smile.gif

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Jun. 22 2006,17:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks for sharing a great tip Faz!    
smile.gif
</div>
cheers o&amp;g maybe we should have a sticky for tip of the day or week
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Yeah, good one Faz. I think it is for just this reason that I always feel uncomfortable having to do squats early in the morning, if for some reason I can't train later in the day.

Back