Been thinking

• Thread starter Thread starter imported_gazz
  • Start date Start date
I

imported_gazz

I'm contemplating breaking my routine up into two halves (upper body/ lower body). I have been training whole body everyday.

Anyway I was thinking : Instead of merely training upper body Monday, lower body Tuesday etc there may be a distinct advantage (frequency, summation, nutrient partitioning) in training shorter workouts twice a day, BUT training the same bodypart am & pm (using different exercises).eg

Monday AM Lower Body (routine 1)
Monday PM Lower body (routine 2)
Tuesday AM Upper Body (routine 1)
Tuesday PM Upper Body (routine 2)
etc etc

This would allow alternating rest periods for each bodypart of 12 hours and 36 hours. This to me seems to have all the advantages of training the full body twice a day, but an added advantage of a slightly prolonged 36 hr rest period for each bodypart every other workout.

Anyone got any views on this or tried anything similar.

All the best
Gazz

Sure, I believe this would basically be the same as 3xweek, 2xday. Although you would actually be training 6xper week, the frequency per body part is equivalent to 3xweek 2xday. I have done the 3x2x thing. Just make sure that you eat A LOT on workout days if you are bulking (which for you would be every day) and apropriatly if you are cutting. In my experience, this technique works best for an endo or meso. Bulking this way as an ecto is tough. But it is GREAT for cutting.

i am endo - i get FREAKING HUGE from working out so frequently...i need to watch not becomming to big...people are scared

okay, me personal, i'd prefer a am/pm splitt that splitts your whole body into 2 routines like

monday am: lower body
monday pm: upper body

this would make the workout more frequent with less recovery time and less volume per workout

if 3x every muscle per week or 6x depends on your experiences...if you workout so frequently - you really need to cut down on volume and focus on nutrition and recovery (sleep) otherwise you'll get a burnout faster then you can say i'm a monster

Sorry gents: From the answers received I'm not sure that I have made my original post clear as to my intentions.

In essence I would be training 12 times per week in total (actually 14 cos I don't see any logic in taking the seventh day off simply because it fits nicely with the Gregorian calender).

Each bodypart would be trained 6 times, but instaed of training each bodypart every 24 hrs, they would alternately receive approx 12 & then 36 hours rest. I would do this by splitting the body into two, training twice per day but repeating the same bodypart in the second session. Move to the next day & train the other half twice & continue in this vain.

Would the undulating rest periods be of any benefit over the constant 24 hrs recovery provided by training each bodypart daily.

Thanks for the replies & sorry if I wasn't too clear.

All the best
Gazz

Comparison
Yours
Monday
AM - Lower Body
PM - Lower Body
Tuesday
AM - Upper Body
PM - Upper Body
Wednesday
AM - Lower Body
PM - Lower Body
Total: Upper Body 6xweek, Lower Body 6xweek
Rest time varies from 12-36 hours per body part

2xday, 3xweek
Monday
AM - Full Body
PM - Full Body
Tuesday
Off
Wednesday
AM - Full Body
PM - Full Body
Totals: Upper Body - 6xweek  Lower Body - 6xweek
Rest time varies from 12 to 36 hours per body part

The difference is that you are using different exercises to work the same muscles AM versus PM, and you are actually putting in gym time every days as opposed to every other.
Advantages of your method over everyday training would be nutrient partitioning and improved CNS recovery.

Disadvantages would include having to eat like a monster every day (as opposed to every other day 2xday, 3xweek or eating pretty big everyday for everyday training.)

Precious Roy

Cheers for the comparison: I see where you're coming from.

Regards the eating: I'd be using the routine for cutting so I don't think there would be a major problem. Basically looking to shed some unwanted middle aged pounds & get the fit as butchers dog look.

Cheers
Gazz

That being the case, I think that your program would be very effective because of the time in the gym. But going to the gym 12x per week has got to take up some time. Just make sure that your schedule permits you to continue this all cycle; it really hurts you to have to drop the frequency mid cycle (from my experience).

Back