Best Bench Press

smoundzou

Friday was the end of my first week of the HST program.. I  have a question regarding bench  presses..

currently I'm doing an A/B rotating flat with Incline.. if I wanted to keep it simple.. which would be best.. I'm assuming flat but I've seen a few post where it has been advised to do an almost flat with an ever so slight incline.. any particular reason for this?  

Does the slight incline help target the upper pecs? or is it just personal preference..?

After the first week I fully understand all the keeping it simple suggestions..
biggrin.gif

smoundzou

it is just because it takes some stress off the shoulders, making it a better angle.

You'd be better off mixing weighted dips + bench

I switched from incline to flat bench this cycle, and I noticed, well, new shape to my pecks, especially around the collar bone area. Basically, I had never realized there was any muscle up there, and now I see some definate size there.

<div>
(Fausto @ Sep. 17 2007,06:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">smoundzou

it is just because it takes some stress off the shoulders, making it a better angle.

You'd be better off mixing weighted dips + bench</div>
I usally alternate flat and incline but if I do decide to do a slight incline and alternate with dips.. Do you think the slight incline going to work the upper pecs enough.. ?

found this in the FAQ's:
Studies have shown that the upper portion of the pec is usually just as active as the lower portion during heavy flat bench. However, there is some benefit to doing incline bench because it seems to help build the clavicular portion of the pecs and the front delts.

that said...I've been doing flat as late.

i altertanated with flat and incline. next time, ima do dips and incline. i wish i could have a slight incline but my local gym only has a 45 degree angle. i need it to be like 25 or 30.

I used to do incline a long time ago, but have been doing flat bench for probably close to a year now. I prefer flat.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I usually alternate flat and incline but if I do decide to do a slight incline and alternate with dips.. Do you think the slight incline going to work the upper pecs enough.. ? </div>

Yep, it will, unless you want to throw standing cross-over cable flyes, which can help, but to me dips + incline bench ar ethe top mix.
wink.gif

Back