BGates' Log

bgates1654

This wont be a very well updated log for a while as I dont have too much time at the present. I will add info when I can.

This last cycle was a 12 week cut that hasnt exactly gone as planned. I came from a very successful bulk in which I gained very little fat, but I didnt behave during SD and doubled my fat gain. It stemmed from a over estimation of my maintenance cals. It was supposed to be a slow bulk but I ended up gaining 1.3lbs/wk for 10 weeks. Luckily 11lbs was LBM.

This cut was supposed to make me lose 1-1.5lb/wk and its been more like 0.5-0.8. The good news is that the unintentionally slow cut has allowed me to boost up my strength somewhat. Halfway through I had to cut out curls due to a forearm injury. It seems to have completely healed, but I am going to give it till next cycle.

I aimed for about 1950cals, but Fitday has me at 2250cals avg. This doesnt include days that I went out to eat and have no nutritional info for. I am sure I went way over on those days too.

Exercise Routine
Tues/Thurs/Sat
4min cardio machine warmup (stopped in the last few weeks)
Squat/Deadlift (tried box squating (very low) with a PR and found out that it seems a bit harder than standard)
Pullups (In the last 2 weeks I altd. these with pendlay rows)
OHP (Turned into a push press towards the end)
Pendlay Row (see pullups)
Incl Bench/Dips
Ext rotator
Oblique machine (dropped @wk8)
Ab machine (dropped@wk8)
Full body stretches (20sec static+10sec isometric)
4min cardio machine cooldown (dropped halfway thorugh)
Power cleans/Power snatches form training (picked up in the last 2 wks to train for next cycle)

Will add more later.

Previous cycle results:

4th cycle (Bulk, cut, cut, bulk)
2nd bulk

Stats:
Starting Date:  11/27/06
Ending Date: 1/27/06
Duration: 9 weeks

Starting Wt: 178.8
Ending Wt: 191.4
Change: 12.6
Method of Analysis: Measured daily in the morning; averaged weekly.

Starting BF%: Unknown (15.8% @ 12/13/06)
Ending BF%: 16.0
Change 0.2+%
Method of Analysis: Omron HBF-306 (Bioimpedance)
Measured daily in the morning; averaged weekly.

Starting LBM: Unknown (150.5 @ 12/13/06)
Ending LBM: 160.8
Change: 10.3+
Derived from bodyweight and BF% analysis.

Dimensions
Upper Arm: From 36.5 to 39cm A change of 2.5cm
Mid Thigh: From 56.5 to 59cm A change of 2.5cm

Routine:
Tu/Th/Sa
1x15+ short rest then 1x5 for 2 weeks
2x10 for 2 weeks
1x5@ 60-70% of working weight then 3x5 continuing to push up weight until progress cant be made, then moving to negatives. In negatives ab/olbique work was cut.
No cardio
Occasional decline wall climbing
Rest was as long as I needed
RMs estimated from last cycle.
Workout was preceded by a 3-5 warmup on a stationary cycle
Workout was followed by a full body stretching routine: 20 seconds passive stretching immediately followed by 10 seconds of isometric stretching.

Exercises
Squat / Deadlift
Incline Bench / Dips
Pullups
Pendlay rows / Cable Rows
BB OHP / DB OHP
DB curls
Oblique machine
Ab machine
Ext Rotator

Strength gains: (3x5 completed)
Squats / Deadlifts: Some gain; Not quantifiable due to minor knee injury causing interruption and restart of these lifts giving no PRs, It just felt easier than before.
Incline Bench: 0  This is probably because the benches where I exercised previously were set to 30 degrees while the one I exercised on this cycle was set to 45.
Dips: +5lbs added weight.  With body weight included its +18lbs.
Pullups: +15lbs (-10 to +5 added). With body weight included its +28lbs.
Cable Row/BB Row: +25lbs
OHP: +20lbs

Diet:

Counted Calories
Starting caloric intake: 3100avg
Bumped up to: 3300avg 2nd week of 5s
I got a bit sloppier with the cals towards the last week or so making it closer to 3450 or so.

Minimum 1g/lb BW Protein
Roughly a 45/30/25 C/F/P macronutrient split

Base Diet:
5.5oz Carrots
3oz Broccoli
3oz tomatoes
2oz spinach
2 whole eggs / 4oz boiled chicken breast + 1 whole egg
2/3serving of fiber one with 1/2cup 2%milk
2oz mixed nuts
2-3 protein shakes
12-16oz fruit
Rest of calories pretty much anything, but tended towards healthy/clean stuff

Supplements
Protein
Creatine
HMB
ZMA
Fish Oil
Vitamin

Sleep: Generally 8 hours although towards the end it wasn’t cutting it so I bumped it up to 8.5-9hrs.

Pictures forthcoming... need host. Its not really telling anyway with the nice layer of fat I have.

Today was the last day of my 5th cycle (cut)

Overall I think it went pretty well. I was aiming for about 15lbs, but didnt quite make it. Instead of 1.5/wk it ended up more like 0.8lbs/wk. This was with no cardio BTW.Ill get more details later.

However I did make these notable accomplishments:
DLed 315! It was easy too! Even after I MSed 10 reps of 295. In fact I over estimated how difficult it would be and accidently turned it into a power shrug and when the weight came back down it nearly peeled from my hands. This is with a double over hand grip with no chalk. I now know why you guys recommend not doing BO/Pendlay rows on DL day.

I found out today that I can do a standing hamstring stretch and put my palms flat on the ground.

I think I may have a 4-pack for the second time in my life!

I think I am really getting the hang of hang cleans or power cleans or whatever.

BW pullups seem nearly effortless now (well kinda)

I am getting over my "fear" of heavy squats.

Most of my RMs went up!

OK more later.

Great results. Well done mate! Getting a PB for deads is so rewarding.

Check here for a guide to many Olympic training lifts:

Power Exercises

<div>
(Lol @ May 23 2007,07:07)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Great results. Well done mate! Getting a PB for deads is so rewarding.</div>
x2

Cycle results:

5th cycle (Bulk, cut, cut, bulk, cut)
3rd cut

Stats:
Starting Date: 2/18/07
Ending Date: 5/27/06
Duration: 14 weeks

Starting Wt: 191.2
Ending Wt: 179.4
Change: 11.8
Method of Analysis: Measured daily in the morning; averaged weekly.

Starting BF%: 16.6
Ending BF%: 14.2
Change -2.4%
Method of Analysis: Omron HBF-306 (Bioimpedance)
Measured daily in the morning; averaged weekly.

Starting LBM: 159.5
Ending LBM: 153.9
Change: -5.6
Derived from bodyweight and BF% analysis.

Dimensions
Upper Arm: From 38 to 36.5cm A change of -1.5cm (This is probably partly becuase I stopped curls)
Mid Thigh: From 59 to 58cm (as of 4/22) A change of -1cm (I dont know if I forgot to record or just stopped measuring)

Routine:
Tu/Th/Sa
1x15 for 2 weeks
1x10 for 2 weeks (5@15RM warmup)
1x5@ 60-70% of working weight then 2x5 continuing to push up weight until progress cant be made, then moving to negatives. In negatives ab/olbique work was cut. (5@4th WO of 10s)
See post 1 for more routine info.

Strength gains: (2x5 completed)
Squats: +20
Deadlifts: +50
Incline Bench: +10
Dips: +15lbs total weight
Pullups: +10lbs total weight
Pendlay Row: +20lbs
OHP: +5lbs

Diet:

Counted Calories
Starting caloric intake: 2250avg

Minimum 1g/lb LBM Protein
Roughly a 40/30/30 C/F/P macronutrient split

Base Diet:
5.5oz Carrots
3oz Broccoli
3oz tomatoes
2oz spinach
4oz boiled chicken breast
2/3serving of fiber one with 1/2cup 2%milk
1.5mixed nuts
2-3 protein shakes
12-16oz fruit
Rest of calories pretty much anything, but tended towards healthy/clean stuff

Supplements
Protein
Creatine
ZMA
Fish Oil
Vitamin

Sleep: Generally 8 hours

I am gonna put my next cycle in here as well since it was so short. I just started today and man did it kick my ass. I predict potty flops for at least 3 days.

Yep, my erector spinae was hurting so bad I had a headache when I woke up this morning. Good stuff
tounge.gif

Squats went much easier than expected today.

I finished my 5th workout of 15s yesterday. Everything seems much easier this cycle compared to my last cycle despite that fact that I am using increased weight. Only the OHP seemed challenging. I am guessing that I can do another increment above what I planned for the 15s. I was really skeptical when I planned this cycle concerning the weights, but I may have been too shy about adding on the pounds.

avg wt 179.5
avg BF% 14.3
calc LBM 153.8

I really have to start measuring myself again.

I am currently aiming for 2800cal and average 2761 in the last 2 weeks. I am bumping up to 3000 when I hit the 10s and possibly 3200 when I hit the 5s+

I finished my 3rd workout of 10s today. Not too much different from last time. OHP again seemed to be the hardest. Only the OHP seemed challenging. My last increment for the 10s on OHP may be out of reach, but then again I didnt sleep that well last night. I was surprised that I was able to deadlift 2x10x225 as well as I did. I power snatched 105 today with some ugly ass form. I ended up banging my knees with the bar. It is hardly anything to brag about since I can OHP 40-50lbs more, but it was cool to move it that fast. Power clean form is coming along nicely. I tried to do a regular clean but it was pretty ugly looking.

avg wt 181.5
avg BF% 14.5
calc LBM 155.2

I am trying to take pics weekly, but forgot last week. I plan on measuring tomorrow.

I am currently aiming for 3000cal and averaged 2979 in the last week. I am bumping up to 3100 when I hit the 5s.

Pics?
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/7082/0624076smallpl1.jpg
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4275/0624072smallar7.jpg

I blacked out the second pic to spare you the details of my crotchal region since I was wearing boxer briefs.

Just finished my slow bulk. Last workout was 8/17.

Ending Stats:
Wt: 185.6
BF: 14.6%
Calced Lean Mass: 158.5

Weights for all exercises went up. I actually did a workout with my previous 1RM (315) for deadlift. My squats are really coming along. I feel much more comfortable with them now and am starting to really put on some weight there. I previously guessed my 1RM OHP at 160 and I actually did 155 well enough that I think 160 would have went up if I gave it a shot. I am still learning the power cleans but am even more comfortable with them. The best I could power clean was 165 though. I can easily pushpress/jerk that. I dont think I am getting full extension still especially on snatches... man my form is ugly on that one. My heaviest successful power snatch was 95 and it goes up easy. 105+ something just messes my head up and I screw up the form.

Pics and more detail later.

<div>
(bgates1654 @ Aug. 18 2007,13:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ending Stats:
Wt: 185.6

Weights for all exercises went up. I actually did a workout with my previous 1RM (315) for deadlift.</div>
Your 315 lb. Deadlift rocks -- three big plates on each end!

Before long you'll be lifting double your bodyweight...

Back