bit confused of rep numbers now!!

danchubbz

hi guys, done a few HST cycles a few years back now returning after trying numerous other techniques!!

in the past have usually stuck to the old 1x15, 2x10, 3x5 reps but just read the article HST summed up by Lyle and he mentions a 15,12,8,5 system

Would it be 1x15, 1x12, 2x8, 3x5 and is this how most people do it nowadays?

I apologise in advance as I realise there is a sticky on rep numbers and people have their own preferences but just wanted to start a relatively new, fresher post regarding it.

cheers

it depends how you feel,i never do less than two sets,if i was doing that i would do it like this.
2x15 1wk
2x12 2wks
3x8 2wks
3x5 2wks
4x5 1wk
5x5 1wk.

I actually prefer to keep reps relatively constant (30 reps total the first few weeks, 20 reps total the next few, then the last two weeks or so I drop reps down drastically as I work very close to my 1 RMS then spend a few days finally at the end hitting max singles) and don't use sets . I just shoot for a total rep number. With this method, you are just increasing your % of 1 RM on each lift each session and not worrying about what rep range you are on. Spillaert just posted a new spreadsheet that I think probably goes kind of along with this sort of a cycle, based on his description - I haven't downloaded it yet because I'm on vacation and don't have my home desktop with me. But you might check that out.

Anyway, the point is... basically it won't matter. As long as you are doing enough volume and you are increasing the load you are using over the course of the cycle, then it will work.

it depends how you feel,i never do less than two sets,if i was doing that i would do it like this.
2x15 1wk
2x12 2wks
3x8 2wks
3x5 2wks
4x5 1wk
5x5 1wk.

u find this works for u pal?

was thinking of trying to keep a slightly more constant rep range throughout the cycle, thinking of trying 15-20 first as I haven't had a full week off and thinking the first few sessions of 15's will be a little like deload sessions anyway!

depending on how I feel after the first cycle I may try

2x12
3x8
4x6

do u think the 3x8 and 4x6 are little too close together though?

I actually prefer to keep reps relatively constant (30 reps total the first few weeks, 20 reps total the next few, then the last two weeks or so I drop reps down drastically as I work very close to my 1 RMS then spend a few days finally at the end hitting max singles) and don't use sets . I just shoot for a total rep number. With this method, you are just increasing your % of 1 RM on each lift each session and not worrying about what rep range you are on. Spillaert just posted a new spreadsheet that I think probably goes kind of along with this sort of a cycle, based on his description - I haven't downloaded it yet because I'm on vacation and don't have my home desktop with me. But you might check that out.

Anyway, the point is... basically it won't matter. As long as you are doing enough volume and you are increasing the load you are using over the course of the cycle, then it will work.

so you're doing something like

2x15
2x10
3x5
Heavy reps working up to singles (how many reps do u roughly do in these sessions with how many exercises)

More like
whatever weight x 16, 12, 2 (or whatever amount of clusters it takes to reach the rep total)

I just do however many reps I can, stopping short of failure, rest briefly (10-20 breaths depending on how heavy the load is) then continue until I am a couple reps shy of failure, rest whatever again, keep repeating til I hit the total reps

For singles, I will just do some warmups, then hit a single at my old max, rest five minutes or so, then attempt a new max and either get it and quit, or fail and either drop the weight and try again, or quit, depending on how I feel. So for deads it might look like this:

315 x 5
405 x 5
455 x 3
495 x 1
545 x 1
565 x 0 - failed, lower back toasted so I quit, or if I felt like I could try again, I might drop down to 555 and try for that, and if I miss that too then I call it quits

I will normally only max out on two lifts at most and definitely not the same areas of the body. So I might do bench and deads on the same day, but I won't do squats until at least four days later or I will have done them four days earlier.
I don't generally push for max singles on any other lifts besides squats, bench and deads, though occasionally I will attempt a max single on weighted dips or chins

u find this works for u pal?

was thinking of trying to keep a slightly more constant rep range throughout the cycle, thinking of trying 15-20 first as I haven't had a full week off and thinking the first few sessions of 15's will be a little like deload sessions anyway!

yes it works great,the only wk were there is a major drop in reps is 3x5,but because its a heavier load thats ok,i like a longer cycle before SDing,so instead of trying to increase the weight on the 3x5 i increase the sets instead.
depending on how I feel after the first cycle I may try

2x12
3x8
4x6

do u think the 3x8 and 4x6 are little too close together though
yes maybe,anyway dont disregard the benefits of higher reps like 15s.

I like to keep my reps constant too.

I do 2 X 15, 3 X 10, 6 X 5

Often using clustering towards the end of the last/heavy sets, and for things like calves, which, for me, have a high tolerance.

Clustering basically means doing 2 or 3 reps, rest for a second or two, then another 2 or 3 reps, until you have hit your target. Some people do their whole target reps (eg; 30 reps) cluster style. I prefer to keep within my sets, (ie; cluster up to 10 reps etc..)

Also, I only do three or four exercises - just basics like leg press, chins, dips and calves

Hope this helps?

Brix

One thing to bear in mind when keeping to a fixed number of reps is that as the loads get heavier you will no doubt start to move more slowly. This means that your TUT will increase as a natural consequence of the load increasing (unless you purposefully slow down your reps at the start of the cycle). So, with this in mind, dropping reps as the loads increase is not necessarily decreasing your TUT. The other thing to factor in to the equation is your ability to recover from CNS fatigue adequately between workouts; at the heavy end of the cycle, you could easily start to fry yourself if you pushed for too many heavy reps on all exercises.

If you've ever done a Smolov squat cycle you will appreciate that regularly lifting heavy loads for many reps takes its toll on your CNS.

Back