Bodybuilding in bad light again

mostlyallan

Is it just me or does this article seem wrong?

From the article:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A survey of 200 gym users found 22% took tamoxifen to reverse this effect.</div>

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">They also found 11% of bodybuilders took human chorionic gonadotrophin to stimulate the testes, which wither due to excessive steroid use.</div>

200 gym users with 22% taking tamoxifen? That would suggest even more are on roids. What the hell kind of gym did they go to?

Lol! Where did they find that piccy
tounge.gif

That's in the UK, isn't it legal to use steroids over there? I don't really know. But if so, that would explain why so many in the gym claimed to use.

At first I just assumed the BBC had misread the survey, so I found the article mentioned (PDF, on page 2) on the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine website, and sure enough, it says:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The first nation-wide survey for steroid abuse in the UK surveyed 21 gyms throughout Britain, and found that 8% of respondents admitted having taken them at some time: 5% of these were current users; 9.1% were men; and 2.3% were women.</div>

And goes on:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">In 2005, in male and female health club attendees, we observed significant increases in the use of the following drugs: diuretics (10%), thyroxine (10%), insulin (14%), clenbuterol (21%), tamoxifen (22%), human chorionic gonadotrophin (11%), growth hormone (24%) and ephedrine (44%). The study indicated that steroids were still the most abused drug. The study indicated that steroids were still the most abused drug.</div>

So, what the BBC reported as the usage stats, was actually the increase in usage over the last year.

Chris.

Guess it would matter which kinds of gyms they go to for the survey. If they are going to hardcore gyms they may be about right. There is no way they are including fitness centers and places like &quot;Curves&quot; LOL

Like many (most) surveys and opinion polls, they pick a group that will give them the answers they want, rather than getting the answers from the survey.

Back