Brief Introduction

payton1221

I stumbled across this type of training, and I'm excited to give it a try. I've been working on my 5RM 10RM, and 15RMs, and this weekend was the first time that I've benched in over two years. I'm 43, and I've lifted on/off since I was 18. The last two years have been mostly push-ups and pull-ups with the occasional bout with back problems and recently elbow problems (tendonitis), but I think I'm ready to roll.

I think that I have the concept understood, but if I have any questions, I won't be bashful about asking them.

I also "stumbled" upon this website a short time ago. I have been training on and off for about 10 years (39 years old), and have ofcourse tried a bunch of different programs. This is the first time I feel confident that i am doing the right thing :cool:
I started HST last week (2 more to go on 15) and I really enjoy it. I have been so positive about the program/research etc that my wife actually decided to join me as well.

I wonder why so few people are training like this.

I love to hear reviews like this, it makes me know that I have joined the right "club" when it just started.

Yep, HST does give you that feeling of being in the "know" :)

I wonder why so few people are training like this.
The short answer is that all programs work to some degree if you are unconditioned to the work load at the time, but not all programs give you a good foundation for continued progress over time.

All of the most effective programs use the principles that comprise HST to some degree or other. The science behind HST and the reason why HST is effective is the same for all effective programs. There are plenty of variables to play around with to keep training interesting but at the end of the day you have to keep adding weight to the bar or do more work with that load (up to a point) in order to grow. Then there's the whole nutritional side of things; that has to be considered and a surplus of cals supplied to allow for any growth to take place.

What is unusual about HST is the community spirit and the free flowing of information, thoughts and ideas that have come about as a result of Bryan's generosity. There's a certain civility here that isn't present on a lot of training related sites on the web.

I hope you enjoy frequenting this site as much as I do. There's a wealth of info here but sometimes you have to dig a little to find it. All the best with your training.

You are absolutely correct regarding the civility on this forum. I have read through several of the threads and I was suprised that the normal bickering was not present. I read and old thread in a norwegian forum where Blade postulated that HST was the future, and he met a massive opposition by people who referred to how the professionals work out and so on. On this forum (the norwegian one), it is not allowed to insinuate that the professionals most likely take a lot of steroids, and that its not possible for "normal" people to train the same way as they do.

My first experience with HST is that I underestimated the calori intake. Yesterday (day 5 on the 15s) I went completely "empty" halfway through my program, so I did as Totentaz suggested in another thread. I took a 1000 calorie shake after practice and I am going to keep my intake much higher than normally.

Just wanted to give a quick update. I'm in week 2, and I notice that I'm a lot sorer than usual (which I assume is a good thing!). I figure that it's one or a combination of four things: I took six weeks off prior to starting this program (other than determining my 5RM, 10RM, and 15RMs); I haven't benched in a few years; it's the slower-than-normal eccentric part of the rep that I'm now paying more attention to; OR the progressive loading is really working my muscles over. I'm not to my 15RM yet, but because of the slower negative part of the rep, it's still a decent workout.

I'm assuming that soreness = muscles-getting-worked-properly.

Just wanted everyone to know that I finished week 6 last night, and I CRUSHED the 5RM that I was hoping for. I could tell on my previous two workouts that I was stronger, so I upped the weights from what I intended to use. I added 10# to my bench, and I added weights to the "weighted" chin-ups and dips, too.

It feels good to be benching again!

Just wanted everyone to know that I finished week 6 last night, and I CRUSHED the 5RM that I was hoping for. I could tell on my previous two workouts that I was stronger, so I upped the weights from what I intended to use. I added 10# to my bench, and I added weights to the "weighted" chin-ups and dips, too.

It feels good to be benching again!

Way to go! It feels great, doesn't it? You should keep a log in the Training Log forum so we can follow your progress!

Back