Calculating 5 rep versus 15 rep max

4 8 15 16 23 42

Is there a mathematical way to best calculate a 15 rep max based on a known 5 rep max on the same lift?

I'll soon be completing my second cycle and last time, moving from 5's back to 15's, I had some difficulty getting the 15 rep max correct.

Yeah, welcome to the club, but your first workout would be the indicator IMHO, and you would adjust weights accordingly for the succeeding workouts. If there were a calculation, it would be terribly inaccurate, since we all have different levels of strength/endurance ratios. If you slightly botch the first workout by adjusting things, why worry? You at least did work out (performed work), and got an idea of where your track is at. It's not like you totally missed it.

I pretty much agree with Quad. There are formula's to calculate RM from other known RM. I wouldn't rely on them too much, but as an initial estimate, go for it. 15's are gonna be pretty light at first anyways, if, as you progress through the week, it feels too light, then double the increment for the next workout. Feel your way through it. As well, if it feels as if it is going to be too heavy by the end of the 15's to make your reps, then dont increment for your next workout, and just repeat the weight.

Thats kinda what I did, and it worked out OK for me.

I actually read the Bryan's hst instructions wrong and thought you worked out your RMs just before you start on that rep range. Reread and saw that you're supposed to work them all out at the start. Does anyone think this is a problem? I figure after 2 weeks of progressively loading to my 15RM, I'd be slightly stronger, so my 10RM would be slightly higher than at the very start?

I figured out pretty quickly not to use calculators.  I thought I'd just take what I could do for 6 reps (I've done Max OT for a long time), use a 1RM calculator then plug numbers in using 15 reps until I got the same 1RM from that.  Results were WAAAAYYYY off.  Apparently I have a 972lb 1RM squat - NOT.  My true 1RM is 250 and I've been injured by 225 recently.

Actually take a couple of days and find your true max for each rep cycle.  Then you'll know.

For my 2nd cycle, I'm going to just add 10lbs to the max I finished up with and work my way backwards to the starting place as described along with the workout.

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Aug. 28 2006,02:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I actually read the Bryan's hst instructions wrong and thought you worked out your RMs just before you start on that rep range. Reread and saw that you're supposed to work them all out at the start. Does anyone think this is a problem? I figure after 2 weeks of progressively loading to my 15RM, I'd be slightly stronger, so my 10RM would be slightly higher than at the very start?</div>
PP: firstly, 15s aren't going to make you a whole lot stronger but even if they did it's no matter. When you arrive at your 10RM w/o you will no doubt find that it is no longer your 10RM. That's fine, as you will be continuing to increment the loads right up to the 5s and beyond. At some point in the post 5s you will be hitting your true (new) 5RM load.

Also, during 10s you will probably be doing two sets. On your 10RM w/o you may well find that you can complete 2 sets with your 10RM load. This is good!
biggrin.gif

Jot down how easy or hard your RM w/os are for each exercise so that you can add 5 or 10lbs next cycle accordingly. Keep trying to push the loads up - but not at the expense of good form.

Back