Calves, Claves, Calves

JSmith

I can't seam to get my little buddies to catch up with the rest of me. My thighs have grown inches (Under developed to begin with) but my calves are pittiful. My wife told me I had calve-arexia. Right now I do standing calve raises with a good bit of weight. Flex all the way down for 3 sec then all the way up for 3 sec. I do 4 sets of 5 (Burns pretty good) but I don't know if it's too little or too much.

John

Keep pushing buddy, calves can be a real pain in the ... first there are the genetic limitations of some...I guess I'm just lucky.

Then there's the fact that they get used everywhere we go, so they require a lot of volume, this is my opinion alone, others may contradict or differ
cool.gif

Here's a tidbit from Elington Darden, take it with a pinch of salt:

ps: I have only taken what I think is of use, as this chap is somewhat frowned upon amongst HST circles, PhD and all
laugh.gif
...that is the way HST is...
wow.gif
 and you know what? They're right...because he is rather inclined towards Nautilus and high intensity

so...without further adue:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">1) Emphasize full-range movements.

Measure the distance that your heels move during any exercise for your calves, and you'll be lucky to get more than six inches of vertical distance.

Six inches of movement is relatively short compared to the distance covered in many other exercises, such as the biceps curl, upright row, and overhead press. Because the calf raise is such a short range of movement, it's essential that you emphasize full-range lifting and lowering.

Breaking the standard calf raise into a four-part exercise will help you get every possible fraction of an inch out of the movement. While wearing a good pair of rubber-soled shoes, stand with the balls of your feet on a four-inch block, and do the following:

1) Raise your heels as high as possible.
2) Attempt to go higher by standing on your big toes.
3) Lower your heels slowly to the stretched position.
4) Try to go lower by extending and spreading your toes.

Repeat this four-part calf raise slowly and smoothly until you get the hang of it. Then, apply it to all of your calf exercises for better results.

Does varying your foot position (toes in, toes straight, toes out) have any effect on which part of the calf that is worked? Many bodybuilders swear that turning the toes in during calf raises works more of the lateral head of the gastrocnemius.

Likewise, turning the toes out involves more of the medial head.

Such foot-turning techniques are unfounded, since the origin and insertion points of the gastrocnemius are not altered by foot placement.

Varying foot position does add a certain amount of variety to a generally boring exercise, and I see no harm in doing so.

2) Keep your knees locked during most calf exercises.

<u>The most important of the eight muscles that make up your back calf is the gastrocnemius. This U-shaped muscle crosses both your knee and ankle joints. Because it crosses the backside of your knee and ankle joints, it's important that your knee remain rigidly locked during the stretched and contracted positions of your calf raises.

Unlocking your knee toward the top position of the calf raise, which is what many bodybuilders tend to do, takes some of the stress off of the gastrocnemius.

If you allow momentum to assist you as well, which many bodybuilders do, then much of the work is transferred to your hips and thighs. Keep the muscle-building stress on your gastrocnemius. Lock your knees and keep them locked throughout the entire range of movement.</u>

The only time that your knee would be bent during a heel-raise exercise is when you are specifically trying to isolate the soleus muscle. The soleus lies under the grastrocnemius. Its primary function is to lift the heel when the knee is bent 90 degrees or more. The seated calf raise should be done for the soleus muscle.

3) Experiment with higher repetitions.

Because the calf raise involves such a short range of movement, you may want to experiment with higher repetitions.
</div>

Ther, hope this helps!
wink.gif

It's probably different for everyone, but I would recommend a higher volume than 4 sets of 5. Try doing something more like 15 reps per set... and adjust the load accordingly. As Fausto pointed out, your calves are getting a workout so to speak all day as you walk around... so I believe working out with a higher volume is necessary to break the barrier.

mix it up do both high and low reps.

my calves got bigger when i started to do distance running,so maybe volume is a factor.

also you very rarely see a fat or big guy with small calves,so maybe load is the factor.

load + volume IMO would be best.

What Gator said is spot on. You have to beat the heck out of your calves if they're not predisposed to growing. I've had decent results using 8-12 sets of 10-12 reps each in my pre-HST life, and have made some adjustments to hit my calves at least 8 times per workout in my HST workouts.

Your calves adapt to the load applied to them, so you have to repeatedly break them down to induce hypertrophy and strength gain. After a warm up and lots of deep stretching, go heavy and go often. The pain of really breaking down your calves is very different than anything else - and the process is exactly the same. At the end of your last set, you shouldn't want to walk; if walking is pain free for those first few steps post-set, you're not done.

I'm not advocating going to failure, my friend - but I am saying you need to put the beat down on 'em.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Keeping the knees locked?!?!?!?
Isn't that a little dangerous?</div>

Not during a calf raise. When setting the weight after the set, knees become unlocked.

On a side note, I usually do standing calf raises on a machine. All rep ranges seem to work for me, but I have acquired a liking for lower reps for the same reason that Tim gave.

A couple things that usually guarantee great calves:

1. Become obese for an extended period of time. Fat people almost always have huge calves

2. Improve your genetics. I don't have to do calf work and they are growing with the rest of my body.

If you don't want to get fat or don't have access to reliable gene therapy technology, you'll just have to keep hammering them while overeating, and hope they grow.

I started out with weedy calves so I worked them hard three times a week for a year. That brought them up to the point that they no longer look ridiculously weedy. I know they will never be great – a mate has bigger calves and he does no calf work at all. So much is in your genetic makeup. Some folks just have a lot more muscle tissue down there to begin with.

I haven't worked my calves directly for a while now (although I really should). I was worried they would shrink back down but regular deadlifting and squats have given them something to think about.

I found that I had to hit them with really heavy loads to get the beggars to respond. I started a cycle with sets of 10 and worked up in load to sets of 5 plus burns. Around 30/40 reps total.

My one caveat is that you must be careful when the loads get heavy. I ended up tearing one of my calves doing seated raises with a ton of weight. I vowed never to use that machine again. Couldn't get out of the damn thing which probably made the injury worse than it should have been. I really don't think that the soleus needs a whole lot of direct work as it gets lots to do during deads and squats. In future, I'll just do donkeys or standing raises (knees slightly unlocked) focusing more on the gastrocnemii.

The standing calf machine at the gym I used to go to didn't have a heavy enough weight stack. I had to add an extra 4 x 20kg plates to the full stack and it just became impractical to add any more.

Now I'm working out from home I can only do single-leg standing calf raises holding a heavy db. I'm hoping I can rig up something in a rack so I can use my bar and load that up as I really prefer working both legs at the same time.

Yeah, working the soleus is pretty pointless IMO. I do all my work, if any, standing to focus on the gastroc... I'm not arguing against it, but more so trying to understand it. But how do your calves get worked with deads, as I was told you push off your heels.

<div>
(JSmith @ Jun. 14 2007,09:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Right now I do standing calve raises with a good bit of weight. Flex all the way down for 3 sec then all the way up for 3 sec. I do 4 sets of 5 (Burns pretty good) but I don't know if it's too little or too much.</div>
I've had a lot of luck doing heavy seated calf raises first. That sort of burns out the soleus. Only after the soleus is fried do I start my standing calf raises. That way the gastrocnemius gets more of a workout as it doesn't get as much of an assist from the soleus.

1. Become obese for an extended period of time. Fat people almost always have huge calves

or you could gain muscle to make you heavier.
or wear a weighted backpack and go for long walks or jog.

Well, at least you have enough opinions, high reps seems to be it I guess and load of course.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But how do your calves get worked with deads, as I was told you push off your heels.</div>

Gator, try putting a slight raise by your toes while doiung deads as opposed to what you'd do for squats,you'll feel your calves for sure!
wink.gif

I'll give the higher reps a try. They are getting bigger (Since squating and DL's) just not as fast as the rest of me. I started out 155 on 2/28/07 and weighed 175 at the end of the 2nd week of 5's (A little fat not much) so there is a BIG diff to my appearence. They rarely get sore so I guess it's hammer time.

Thanks
John

So as far as calves are concerned it doesn't really follow the whole HST principle of keeping the volume low?

I read an article somewhere about arnies personal trainer recommending a 10x10 for Arnold because he was struggling with calf muscle growth and it, obviously, worked for him.

I tried it when I first started HST and it hammered my calves pretty bad, but I went to doing the two sets only because I figured I would stick to the HST principle of keeping sets low no matter what the muscle was.

Unless your juicing, don't try to follow verbatim any workout done by Arnold himself. And doing sets of 15 or so is definitely not low volume by any means.

<div>
(Dvst8or @ Jun. 15 2007,01:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So as far as calves are concerned it doesn't really follow the whole HST principle of keeping the volume low?

I read an article somewhere about arnies personal trainer recommending a 10x10 for Arnold because he was struggling with calf muscle growth and it, obviously, worked for him.

I tried it when I first started HST and it hammered my calves pretty bad, but I went to doing the two sets only because I figured I would stick to the HST principle of keeping sets low no matter what the muscle was.</div>
HST principles do still apply to calf muscles just like any other. The problem comes from not being able to SD calf muscles as you can most other muscles. Every time you take a step you are subjecting the muscles to a fairly high load (try walking on your hands for a while). Running increases the strain still further.

So, in order to get them to grow you have to start at a higher load intensity than you would for other muscle groups. That's what I found anyway. Joules (search for posts by Vicious) suggested starting in the 10s for calves (which means you probably start with your 15RM load) and working up from there. Then incorporating negs and stretch point stuff as the cycle progressed.

One technique that I forgot to mention, but one that can work really well, is assisted negs where you use both calves to raise the load and lower with one, alternating feet with each rep. If you haven't had sore calves in a while this will fix that.
biggrin.gif
A leg press type machine works well for this.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">HST principles do still apply to calf muscles just like any other. The problem comes from not being able to SD calf muscles as you can most other muscles. Every time you take a step you are subjecting the muscles to a fairly high load (try walking on your hands for a while). Running increases the strain still further.</div>

Pulitzer Prize!
laugh.gif

Back