Can anyone help me solve my zig zag dilemma?

NoPainNoGain

I'm starting my HST routine tomorrow, and I've been using the HST calculator to figure out my weights for each two week rep cycles. Due to me not being able to do alot of weights for my arms, my weights seem to repeat to often to be effective in the 10 and 5 rep ranges. I'm able to do 25s in the 15 range, and 30s in the 10s, and 35s...MAYBE 40s in the 5s. If you plug those numbers using 5lb increments into the HST calculator, you'll see my dilemma. I had to come up with my own weight scheme to avoid going waaay too light and to keep the weights that repeat heavy enough for the lower reps...take a look.

Here is the weight scheme I came up with:

15s are the following poundages:

1st wkout: 10
2nd: 15
3rd: 15
4th: 20
5th: 20
6th: 25

10s are the following poundages:

1st: 20
2nd: 25
3rd: 25
4th-6th is 30s

5s are as follows:

1st: 30
2nd: 30
3rd: 30
4th-6th is 35s
================
Basically what I was trying to do is use the heaviest weights I could each workout, even if the repeated 2-3 consecutive workouts. The downfall is that I'm gonna end up using my maxes for a couple of consecutive workouts. But compared to what the calculator says I should be using, I think this is better.

How will this scheme impact my growth and recovery? If you can help me come up with a better weight scheme, please let me know. I'm excited about starting HST, but this zig zagging crap is ticking me off a bit. Thanks for any help.

Nopainnogain

Welcome!

Zigzagging is not that bad, unless it is going too deep into the previous scheme.

Here's something that may help you use it as you will, ther is no zigzagging at all in it!

Do clusters. There's no zig zag whatsoever in clustering. It also seems to be a more effective form of HST for most people.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xahrx @ Oct. 24 2005,5:55)]Do clusters. There's no zig zag whatsoever in clustering. It also seems to be a more effective form of HST for most people.
Can anyone elaborate on clustering, and how to use it during HST?

I believe clustering refers to doing the reps in "clusters" until you reach the intended number of reps, i.e. in the 15's you might do 10, 3, and 2 reps with just a pause in between. This allows you to get the intended number of reps with a given weight that you may have misjudged/miscalculated (too heavy) in setting up your cycle. You can also do that in lieu of zigzagging by continuing to use your rep max weight from the previous microcycle for the first couple of workouts in your current microcycle.

Clustering is a means to use a slightly heavier weight but cluster the reps in order to allow more recovery and subsequent clusters.

In other words, pick a rep count, for each RM Phase, let's say 30 for for your 15's, One the first set do as many as you can before failure kicks in, let's say you hit 14. Allow enough recovery to be able to it again, this time you get 10, allow recovery again to get your final 6. This can be either consistent throughout your entire cycle (30 reps for all intensities) or rep counts can change based on the RM phase (30 for 15's, 25 for 10's, 20 for 5's). Because you are manipulating fatigue and the concern for strict set and rep counts are removed you can use a little bit heavier weight.

Other options are;
Use your 15RM throughout the 15 phase, only adjust tempo not the load. Use only two increments in the 10's and 5's. Continue with your 5 RM for longer than 2 weeks, say 4, increase the weight when you can.

It would look something like this.

15's-25-25-25-25-25-25, slow tempo down as it becomes easier

10's-20-20-25-25-30-30

5's-25-25-30-30-35-35

Continue using 35 for an additional 3-4 weeks, when or if you can hit 8 reps on any set with 35lbs, increase the weight.

Dan

Back