Can't do BB Rows :(

kidkurious

due to a wrist injury a few yrs ago, performing bb rows with an overhand grip seems to be triggering the injury again.

In the past, I performed the rows with and underhand grip to avoid re-injury.

I was thinking about switching back to underhand grip, but then I would have to re-calculate my maxes, and i feel i don't work my back as effectively with underhand grip.

I was wondering if I can do wide grip pull-ups instead?

Pull-ups have more emphasis on the lats while rows work rhomboids, lower traps and back delts. Go for the underhand gripped row and either recalculate your maxes or try adjusting midcycle the weights, it should take you a workout or two to see what's the weight difference between grips and apply that difference to the rest of the cycle.

<div>
(bgates1654 @ Aug. 20 2008,4:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Have you tried the hook grip?</div>
oqdutl.jpg

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Aug. 20 2008,4:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(bgates1654 @ Aug. 20 2008,4:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Have you tried the hook grip?</div>
oqdutl.jpg
</div>
lol @ TR

underhand grip will give you a bit more power I would think, but I can't see it throwing your entire cycle off.

(But I'm doing Yates rows. This may/may not make a difference)

I've switched grips mid cycle and found my bearings just fine.

There's nothing wrong with v-bar or wide grip cable rows either, again, you can find your bearings and continue with the cycle.

thanks guys!
smile.gif

tomorrow is my last day on the 15's.

I've decided to switch to underhand grip, using the weights I setup for overhand grip.

If I find the weight is too heavy/low, I can simply adjust the weight for the rest of the cycle... I believe this is a good idea.

What do you think?

sounds good to me.

though I don't know what kind of a row you're doing?

This is a whole can of worms.

If you were doing a back parallel to the floor pendlay style row, obviously you can't go reverse grip and bring the bar to your chest.

<div>
(kidkurious @ Aug. 21 2008,9:04)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've decided to switch to underhand grip, using the weights I setup for overhand grip.

If I find the weight is too heavy/low, I can simply adjust the weight for the rest of the cycle... I believe this is a good idea.

What do you think?</div>
You might find using heavy weights quite hard to perform with strict form..cable rows with a hammer grip are just as good, are kinder to your lower back, and provide a greater range of motion as you can really stretch whilst performing the exercise - this provides a greater growth stimulas
smile.gif
..give it a go and see what you think.....

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Aug. 22 2008,12:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you were doing a back parallel to the floor pendlay style row, obviously you can't go reverse grip and bring the bar to your chest.</div>
actually, i have been doing the pendlay version.

today, I did it using the underhand grip, and I was still able to touch the bar to my chest somehow.

Perhaps my technique was wrong?

regardless, I still felt my mid and upper back being worked.

Interesting that you feel the pain in an overhand grip and not in an underhand grip. I would have thought that the weight hanging in neutral position from either grip would inflict similar stress on the wrist but I could be wrong. I use both grips and never really noted any significant difference in the feel. I will play with this tonight and see what it feels like.

I have to wonder if there is not some other culprit at work here as well. Perhaps a grip that is too wide that is applying a shearing force to the joint but since the shearing force would be in reverse underhand the pain is relieved? Perhaps a bit too much momentum is being used, more likely on the negative side, which is causing a stretch in the ligament at the lower end of the lift? Slow it down a little bit and see... Perhaps a bit of wrist curl has unconsciously made its way into the lift at the top portion in an attempt to insure a touch to the torso? If that is the case I would think that a reduction in the weight for a brief time might be in order while you iron out the mechanics.

I normally start the lift from a fully stretched position and sometimes even use floor rows. I then start the motion by squeezing the shoulder blades together as the weight starts the ascent. The remainder of the lift is mostly arm movement from that point forward. The squeeze in the upper back is maintained as the deltoids and forearms normally finish up the last bit of the lift to my pause at the middle abdominals.

Maybe you can work to rehabilitate that wrist a bit. I used to a bit of boxing and had a serious sprain in my wrist that was causing me grief when lifting big loads. I used a roll up bar (A big stick with rope ran through the middle of it suspending some weight) at the end of every workout for a while to strengthen the wrist. A neat trick an arm wrestling buddy of mine showed me from his training is to load a bar up in the rack at waist height and twist the bar in either direction depending upon which heads you are looking to activate. I have tried these and they are very similar to the roll up bar. Now they sell these roll up bars in the darn department stores. We were making these thing ourselves out of big old dowel rods twenty years ago. Why on earth didnt we try and market them back then?

<div>
(Wildman @ Aug. 22 2008,3:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Interesting that you feel the pain in an overhand grip and not in an underhand grip. I would have thought that the weight hanging in neutral position from either grip would inflict similar stress on the wrist but I could be wrong. I use both grips and never really noted any significant difference in the feel. I will play with this tonight and see what it feels like.

I have to wonder if there is not some other culprit at work here as well. Perhaps a grip that is too wide that is applying a shearing force to the joint but since the shearing force would be in reverse underhand the pain is relieved? Perhaps a bit too much momentum is being used, more likely on the negative side, which is causing a stretch in the ligament at the lower end of the lift? Slow it down a little bit and see... Perhaps a bit of wrist curl has unconsciously made its way into the lift at the top portion in an attempt to insure a touch to the torso? If that is the case I would think that a reduction in the weight for a brief time might be in order while you iron out the mechanics.

I normally start the lift from a fully stretched position and sometimes even use floor rows. I then start the motion by squeezing the shoulder blades together as the weight starts the ascent. The remainder of the lift is mostly arm movement from that point forward. The squeeze in the upper back is maintained as the deltoids and forearms normally finish up the last bit of the lift to my pause at the middle abdominals.

Maybe you can work to rehabilitate that wrist a bit. I used to a bit of boxing and had a serious sprain in my wrist that was causing me grief when lifting big loads. I used a roll up bar (A big stick with rope ran through the middle of it suspending some weight) at the end of every workout for a while to strengthen the wrist. A neat trick an arm wrestling buddy of mine showed me from his training is to load a bar up in the rack at waist height and twist the bar in either direction depending upon which heads you are looking to activate. I have tried these and they are very similar to the roll up bar. Now they sell these roll up bars in the darn department stores. We were making these thing ourselves out of big old dowel rods twenty years ago. Why on earth didnt we try and market them back then?</div>
thanks!
biggrin.gif

although I never visited a doctor for it, I believe the injury I had a few years ago was my &quot;Triangular Fibrocartilage&quot;, a wrist ligament. I actually injured it performing a BB Row with the overhand grip, which I guess why performing the exercise with the reverse grip prevents re-injuring it.

I don't think there's much I can do. The ligament probably didn't heal properly as I can hear a clicking sound when I rotate my wrist.

I'll your ideas a try! I really appreciate it
smile.gif

Back